Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Whats it like going to a real studio?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Whats it like going to a real studio?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've never been to an actual studio... Whats it like? what are the benefits of going to a real studio? what would i need to know before going to one?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
    Have a look at some of the studio websites in your local area. They usually have resident engineers and producers which you can hire for your session.

    Ask someone you know who does record at studies if you could tag along and learn from what they do. That's what everyone seems to recommend, and so do I. It's a great experience. If they say you can, "don't fart, sneeze or cough" as Nick Javas once said.

    Basically, don't give your opinion unless it's asked. If you want to leave the room, just walk out very quietly without making much of a distraction. Sit there and soak up what people do, but don't ask what they are doing. That pisses a lot of people I know off. "I'm doing my job, don't ask me what I'm doing" sort of thing.

    Also, I've learnt that some performers get really annoyed if they are doing something in the booth and then someone is on their phone, or doing something which isn't focused on them. I suppose their egos get in the way sometimes.

    Basically, when you're paying a lot of money to try and get a song or project done and something unprofessional happens, you get very irritable. Unless you're incredibly fun loving, or simply high.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I`ve worked with a lot of different people, and the best advice i can give is - be prepared. You don`t say what you are going to do in the studio, but let`s say your there to sing, make sure you know the lyrics and melody inside out. The studio is there to make something great perfect, it`s not a rehearsal. And be yourself, don`t act up

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    804
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Are you going as an artist or a producer or what?

    Like the others have said, be prepared and be professional. Wasting time is generally frowned upon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ditto--Ditto nothing pisses me off more that someone NOT knowing their part. don't be writing verses in the studio. no matter what you may think, it does not sound the same as you knowing it for a week in advance.



    Cindy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If you know any musicians in your area it is well worth putting the money together for a session in the studio. The first time I ever went to one I basically paid to go in there without a singer or rapper and I literally asked the engineer questions for an hour lol...at first he wasn't too happy, but I booked a few sessions for rappers I was working with in the following weeks and he eventually forgave me lol

    I find that going to the studio always feels, idk...tense? I can only remember 2 times that we've all been able to hang out and shoot ideas around and chill then record and repeat, all the other times money has been an issue and it's been record, retake, record, retake, repeat, okay, time up.

    It may have just been the people I was working with, my age at the time and the studio I went to. I did love it and it made me want to elevate my game, but I always felt like you had to go in there to NAIL it, not brainstorm and hang out. That's what FL Studio and your USB mic are for.

    JC

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exclusivo View Post
    Sit there and soak up what people do, but don't ask what they are doing. That pisses a lot of people I know off. "I'm doing my job, don't ask me what I'm doing" sort of thing.
    lol then, by my opinion, they arent really good persones...so one more argument why i wouldnt visit them/it hah

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jocasrb View Post
    lol then, by my opinion, they arent really good persones...so one more argument why i wouldnt visit them/it hah
    Or...it could be that they are on someone else's dime and time and need to be focused on their work. That makes them a very good "persones"-they respect their client enough not to waste their time and budget.
    How can a professional get any work done if he/she has to stop every few minutes to answer questions from someone who isn't contributing to the project? Just sit, pay attention, and take notes. Or, figure out how to make yourself useful while in the session so you can learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpthrust View Post
    Or...it could be that they are on someone else's dime and time and need to be focused on their work. That makes them a very good "persones"-they respect their client enough not to waste their time and budget.
    How can a professional get any work done if he/she has to stop every few minutes to answer questions from someone who isn't contributing to the project? Just sit, pay attention, and take notes. Or, figure out how to make yourself useful while in the session so you can learn.
    yea, you are right, but theres other right side, like mine, why would i pay to him *who knows how much money* to produce my song but without answering on my question, because im interested also in production...i dont know, for me thats a really unnecessary bullshit, that going to pro studio, sorry for these ugly words, but i cant understand it..(also we in Serbia dont have pro studio, maybe only one, but although better spend big money for my things and for friends&gf..and yes, i love enough making music and production, writing, but what my opinion is: why should i show love (music) with money? no sense

    sorry for offtopic, but its also somehow related to 'going to pro studio'..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,133
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 229 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TagYourBeats View Post
    It may have just been the people I was working with, my age at the time and the studio I went to. I did love it and it made me want to elevate my game, but I always felt like you had to go in there to NAIL it, not brainstorm and hang out. That's what FL Studio and your USB mic are for.

    JC
    Damn right. lol We all know nobody successful uses the good ol' fruit loops ...except Flying lotus, and Skream. Spend a couple grand in a fancy smancy studio.
    Website: epsilon144.com
    Soundcloud: Epsilon-144

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •