What's everybody using for monitors?

Sony bookshelf system. Now that I have a MPC I am thinking of going with some KRK G2's, or maybe the HS50s if I can afford them.

Production = Yamaha HS80M
Rehearsal = Yamaha S5115HT

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony bookshelf system. Now that I have a MPC I am thinking of going with some KRK G2's, or maybe the HS50s if I can afford them.
If you already using Sony's with a good amp, trust me, unless you're at leats going with RP8s, you'll get more bang for buck and better quality out of Passive KRKs. ST6s run like $200 a Pair, ST8s well under $400 if memory serves me correctly.

I'm getting some ST8s myself in the very short future.

Last edited:
Okay so I decided to go with the Yamaha Monitors but now I'm stuck on getting the HS50M or the HS80M, it is $120 difference but my engineer told me to go with the 80 instead of the 50 to just get it right the first time. Any suggestions on either??? I'm confused...

Okay so I decided to go with the Yamaha Monitors but now I'm stuck on getting the HS50M or the HS80M, it is $120 difference but my engineer told me to go with the 80 instead of the 50 to just get it right the first time. Any suggestions on either??? I'm confused...

Simple answer. 5 inch woofers aren't wide enough to properly distribute low end sound. 6.5s give a remarkable difference from 5s, and once you get into 8s, it all begins to make sense.

I'd recommend 8inch speakers that came with a aiwa system from Wal-Mart over what people call "top of the line 5 inch monitors". But this is left to opinion, not saying they're factually better, just saying what works best for me.

But if you talking the same manufactured model...the bigger the woofer the better the dynamics, 100% fact.

Simple answer. 5 inch woofers aren't wide enough to properly distribute low end sound. 6.5s give a remarkable difference from 5s, and once you get into 8s, it all begins to make sense.

I'd recommend 8inch speakers that came with a aiwa system from Wal-Mart over what people call "top of the line 5 inch monitors". But this is left to opinion, not saying they're factually better, just saying what works best for me.

But if you talking the same manufactured model...the bigger the woofer the better the dynamics, 100% fact.

That makes sense...I'll go with the 8in out the gate!

Speakers:
Alesis m1 mk2 passives for mixing.
Yamaha ns6490, and a yamaha 10 inch sub for referencing.

Headphones:
Grado sr80, and JVC harx700.

Back