whats the Cheapest place to buy acoustic foam ?

Prob better for someone more experienced to post, but for what it's worth: I made some cheap DIY bass traps out of rock wool, some cloth and wooden planks (you can get batt's of rockwool at any hydroponic shop) and I'm going to order these in, you could probably make them yourself cheaper but it seems to be a not bad price.

Ready Traps™ 2” High Frequency/Noise Absorption Panels (Set of 3) Ready Acoustics, LLC - Afforadble, Durable, and Stylish Acoustic Products - Bass Traps - DIY! Solutions - Mounts - Insulation [RT422] - $219.99 : Ready Acoustics!, Hear - Sound - Bette

Prob better for someone more experienced to post, but for what it's worth: I made some cheap DIY bass traps out of rock wool, some cloth and wooden planks (you can get batt's of rockwool at any hydroponic shop) and I'm going to order these in, you could probably make them yourself cheaper but it seems to be a not bad price.

Ready Traps™ 2” High Frequency/Noise Absorption Panels (Set of 3) Ready Acoustics, LLC - Afforadble, Durable, and Stylish Acoustic Products - Bass Traps - DIY! Solutions - Mounts - Insulation [RT422] - $219.99 : Ready Acoustics!, Hear - Sound - Bette

you got it right stay away from the acoustic foam... auralex is a great product top of the line acoustic foam...true enough

but foam doesn't take care of the frequencies need to tame sound correctly ...
ready traps... gik acoustics room kit #1 is only $550
GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

if you're handy you can diy bass and absorption panels for super cheap..
I'm not handy so I can't mess with diy

again foam is a waste of money.. please ...please take your time and research what I'm saying

yeah I didn't know any better and spent close to $600 on auralex and marketek foam products which I still have ....
planning on using them though in my new setup most rockwool traps are 2" to 4" I'm going to use auralex foam and marketek foam making them 6" thick and using in for second reflection point and my front wall will be 6" check out this thread for my sketches... I can't wait to grab up GIk products but will have to use auralex lenrd bass traps along with gik tri traps and 242 absorption panels till I can completely switch them out

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...cs/probably-been-posted-600-times-but-364234/

Last edited:
I would use something like this
http://gikacoustics.com/images/room_kit_02.jpg

and when recording do play your monitors out load use headphones ... the room itself will sound good you could also add something like this

GIK Screen Panel. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

I'm seriously thinking about adding this because this way the artist can make all the ugly-crazy faces they need to make to vibe and give a good performance
GIK Screen Panel. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. the cost is $299

I'm building a one room studio in the next 15 months and this is a great way for seperation

Last edited:
find a local Architects / interior design supplier, they'll usually carry the acoustic foam like the rigid yellow fibreglass that you'll find similar to what's in GIK products. they even come dyed in black these days. Here in toronto, sound solutions sells a 2" deep, 4'X10' sheet for $160, that's 5 absorptions panels for $50 each, once you include the price of fabricate and some 1'x2' wood studs to frame the back, then staple the fabricate tight around it. For some cleaner lines around the edges, add plastic thin corner guards before wrapping the fabric around. Want a 4" bass trap? just double up the foam.

Last edited:
For the tracking room you should use frequency absorption panels (as many as you can afford). The thicker the panel, the lower the frequency removed. Its good to get atleast 4" thick foam for the bass traps (or some thick theatre curtains), and 2" foam for absorbing the mid-high frequencies. Placement is the most important element to treating a room, and hopefully you have atleast some form of carpet -the floor and ceiling are usually the MOST reflective surfaces, and you should choose a room with atleast some form of texture (knockdown, orange peel, anything but flat). However, for a control room, you should have about 70% coverage. And using diffusion panels above and behind your listening position will really help your mixing environment. Again, bass trapping the corners of your walls are essential, and covering up you windows with a thick curtain is necessary too. You don't want to make the room sound completely dead, because that is a unrealistic setting that nobody will ever listen to your music in. Just experiment until there are no standing waves, and very little reflection. If you spend less than $500 per room and are successful, then you did well.

Last edited:
The best thing that most professional record producers do is build a small, clay hut in your studio and record your vocals and instrumentation there. The aborigines in Australia have been recording that way for centuries.

The ability to record hasn't been around for centuries. DIY Bass traps would be the best and cheapest way to go.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

The ability to record hasn't been around for centuries. DIY Bass traps would be the best and cheapest way to go.

Back