Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's better, comp or hardware...peep!

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    What do you all think is better, A computer or hardware for making beats? Computer is cheaper I presume, but does the sound of it all come out better when using majority of external hardware and a computer? Or Instead a computer and as little external hardware as possible. Obviously it depends somewhat on the quality level, expense of your programs etc. But overall what are the ups and downs of each. I'm really in need of advice and people don't seem to really answer soon enough to kill my eagerness, so please drop some insight on the subject.:confused: THanKs!

Thanks

Red face come on, hook a brotha up!

peeps always seem to look at posts that have replies, so heres a reply, pay some attention.

Thanks

Post computers

In principle, I'd like to be able to do everything on my PC. I don't see any reason why people should have to get hardware samplers, hardware synths etc.

I do have a few items of hardware myself, most notably a synth module and keyboard - but I see nothing wrong with a decent software synth, as long as you have a bank of 'knobs' to controll it by MIDI.

I also have a few real percussion instruments - bongos, guiro, tik-taks, maracas etc, which are handy for making progressive house. But there are billions of drum machines and samples available so this is far from essential!

P.S. I never look at the number of replies - just the subject line.

Take it easy

Thanks
    Either or... All you have to do is ask yourself... Hmmmm, what kind of music do I want to create, and what do I need to create it? Then go out and find it. It doesn't matter if it's hardware or software because both give superb results. I tend to use only software because it's much cheaper, but I eventually plan to expand to hardware.
    " I see the men of learning pacing to and fro, but how can I expect the sane to ever know? "

http://physics.syr.edu/icons/anim-equalizer.gif

Thanks
    i also look at the subject line too!

well, it really depends. i'm also startin out myself and i favor using the computer since it's cheaper as it was already mentioned. but i plan to buy hardware as well like DJ effectors, TT's, and CDJ's to add to my drums, guitars, bass n stuff. it's cool to listen to live sounds recorded but in terms of hardware (drum seq, seq, synths etc.) they're too costly. just make sure you buy a MIDI controller and a keyboard synth.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Short & Simple....

I preffer Analogue, ( Hardware)

1. It's the 'FEEL' when you make your music...
    2. The quality is somehow different...
    3. To much from the cpu monitor will damage your eyes. (It's not comfortable in a way)
    4. A few more.....

-That doesn't mean I don't use any software. Quantisizing in Cubase and such. Important of course.

But, I got more hardwares that softs....

Zaid Ambak, @ Akira
    -I Do It LIVE-

www.nexdna.com
    -(Kuala Lumpur's Electronic Music Scene)
    -Check it out for our updates-
    Last edited by Akira; 04-23-2001 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks

thanks!...but why?

but why a midi controller and a keyboard synth?
    Are these better to have as external, as compared to internal/software? or are these just the cheapest? These answers cleared up alot, but I really am still not clear about if I need a sampler, well not need, I know I'm going to need to sampler, but was wondering if I can sample straight of of a Turntaple/CD ROM to my computer and have the same quality as if I had an external device like the ones you mentioned, and then brought/ sampled that sound to the computer? Or would I just be spending more money and getting the same effect. I'm going to be producin hiphop, so my whole style is going to be based around sampling sounds, loops etc. So I deffinitely want the best route to take?

Thanks

Talking

Akira: well, i agree with you definitely. If i had the money, i'd rather go for analogue but since i'm kinda short for it, i went for the pc. i just got a powerful one instead.

PRIZ: well, you need the controller to expand the possibilities and the movement for your software synths inside your pc. for sampling, since i'm kinda new to this too, i don't quite understand fully samplin yet but if you mean like gettin parts of a song or somethin, try soundforge sonic foundry

Thanks
    yea I love my hardware. its so much more instant. if you know what I mean. And with it being dedicated to the job - you just turn on and your away. No silly software so arse about with. and theres fcuk all chance of your DX7 getting a virus from the internet. lol.
    Whyyyyy why mm big monkeeee pie. Donkeee go pieee-yieeeee.

Thanks

hey cyso, when you said...

"PRIZ: well, you need the controller to expand the possibilities and the movement for your software synths inside your pc." - Did you mean an external controller (midi controller) to expand etc, or did you mean in general? so a midi controlller as a software program would be the same as an external program, or the external program would be needed because it works better than a software program. Sorry, should of mentioned I'm an idiot at understandind this stuff.

Thread Information