whats the best Monitors(active) and sub woofer

associatez

whats the best Monitors(active) and sub woofer out there I want the montiors that require no pre amp (active I think thats called)
and a sub woofer too
im look to spend about 300 bucks on the montiors and about 200?(not sure how much a sub costs) on the woofer
I want good montiors..what do you recommend...

Last edited:
they guy at a muzik store out my way kept saying, krk rockit 8's over and over to me, so i went to guitar center and checked them out, they are actually pretty damn sweet, very clear compared to most of the monitors i heard. you will definatly need a subwoofer with them tho..i have the truth, some people call them the lies, i get good mixes with them tho..im gonna get those krk's this week tho.

i agree, the krk's sound great. But, strangely i found that(to my ears at least) the rockit 5's sounded better than the 8's. They also fit in perfectly with your price range, at $299 a pair. Of course you should take a listen to some monitors your self if possible, because how they sound is subjective. What sounds good to me may sound like sh*t to you.

yeah I spent so much time learning about whats the best mic to buy I never learned much about monitors..I want the best money can buy (around 300 bucks)
so I am not sure...i want something studio quality

I've got the tannoy actives. I compared them to the rokits and the tr8s and went with them. Don't know about the prices in your city tho. as to the krk's, don't get em confused with the krk V8s, I'm not even sure wether krk still produces the rokits or just gave permission to some china based company to manufacture for them.

associatez said:
are the Behringer B2031 Truth Monitor Speakers good?

the truths are ok, some people HATE them, some like them. i have them, they are cool, you have to figure out the low end, what i mean by that is that you will mix on the monitors, and get the low end to sound perfect, then you put them on another system, and the low end is way too loud. they are also a little harsh around the mid range.

You're not going to get the "best" monitors with this budget, and if you don't expect to, you can settle for some 'good for their range' monitors. I say save, and get better ones, even though even these likely still won't be the "best".

In your range, the Truths are good, but have horrible RF problems, because they are poorly sheilded. Unless you are in a good area, that follows proper standards or in the middle of nowhere, you will likely join the ranks of the huge number of owners having problems. This is too bad, because the monitors actually sound pretty good, outside of this. You then have some Events, 1 line from Samson, Alesis and the KRK monitors. These are the only brands in that range that sound even remotely good, to me anyway. The Resolvs sound suprisingly good, for the range, but have questionable cone designs (they seem easily damaged) and can be too boomy. The KRK brand has a lot going for them. Events are good, as are 1 or 2 models from Alesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The B2031A's are great. Unless your shure that you need the mackies, why spend $1000 on monitors when you can have descent monitors for $350 and still have $$$ left for something else. Build up your studio, make some money and then think about expensive monitors...

My 2 cents...

I never really rated the Behringers the bass never sat well. A friend has them as DJ monitors and they are great for that but otherwise????
Alesis M1 are decent mid price monitors or the Tannoy Reveals.

Im upgrading to a pair of active monitors soon. Was thinking Mackie HR824 or 626. I'm also looking at Genelecs... Any suggestions out there. I have about $1000/1500 to spend. At the minute I have a battered set of NS10's and they're getting a bit long in the tooth.

I really can't figure out why people like the Alesis M1's more than they do the Behringers.

M1's sounds dull, uninspiring, unaccurate in stereo imaging and basslines sound awfully weird on them.

I felt the Alesis Linear 820's were great when I heard them, though of course not as good as the Event 20/20's or the Dynaudio BM5's...but then those are way too rich for your blood.

Mackie HR 824's - Flat resposne can't nothing in the price range up or down $700 touch em.

Jos

Back