What is a "signal source"??!!

Ok, I'm tryin to get my JBL LSR 4328 monitors up and running. I'm going through the manual and it says, "To avoid "thumps" which can damage your speakers, always power up the signal source FIRST and your LSR4300 monitors LAST."

Also, when I press the Input button on a speaker the LCD doesn't ever blink. I am trying to figure out if this is because the power is not turned on on the speakers. Any help is appreciated.

Signal source = your amp.

"To avoid "thumps" which can damage your speakers, always power up the signal source (amp) FIRST and your LSR4300 monitors LAST."

Ok, so that means my Audio Interface right? NM, Got that to work now. Here is another question. What order would I turn everything off in?

Last edited:
Basically what the statement is saying is to avoid blowing your monitors/speakers, turn on the power to your amp first, and since your monitors/speakers are powered up on their own, turn them on after.

I would power the amp first, then your cpu (audio interface should power automatically with the cpu), then your monitors. When you turn it off, do those steps in reverse.

The signal source is the source of the signal. Not the amp. The amp is the END of the signal chain.

Signal source = Signal source. It's self-defining.

Amps on last, amps off first.

Massive, I am a little confused on what you said based on what was said above. The source of the signal of my interface? I have my monitors hooked into my audio interface. I have been turning on my interface first, computer second, and speakers last after everything is booted up.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
The signal source is the source of the signal. Not the amp. The amp is the END of the signal chain.

Signal source = Signal source. It's self-defining.

Amps on last, amps off first.

:confused: CONFUSED :confused:

The way I have my set up is all my 1/4 jacks/RCA cables are connected to my outboard mixer ins. I have my audio interface outs connected to ins on the mixer and I have an aux out on the mixer connected to the in of the audio interface (so recording or playback of any audio from the CPU can be monitored thru the outboard mixer). The outboard mixer main outs are connected to my amp. I can turn on everything with the flick of one switch, however when I turn everything on/off I turn the volume on the amp down to avoid the POP of the speakers. That's what I got from the statement "To avoid "thumps" which can damage your speakers, always power up the signal source FIRST and your LSR4300 monitors LAST." If you turn you amp on last and your speakers/monitors are already on (by their own AC power supply), the power surge from the amp is going to blow suttin'. Plus the statement in the manual tells you...."and your LSR4300 monitors LAST" so I would follow that.

TennesseePimp865 said:
Massive, I am a little confused on what you said based on what was said above. The source of the signal of my interface? I have my monitors hooked into my audio interface. I have been turning on my interface first, computer second, and speakers last after everything is booted up.

Now if you don't have an outboard mixer, amp, etc, they way your doing it sounds right because your audio interface would be your signal source (signal source = the thing that is emitting the audio). Whatever it is, the manual tells you to turn on the monitors last.

Last edited:
Back