what should i do?

N

nesco

i'm gettin in the producing business and i have a little problem. If i have a digital recorder, let's say AKAI DSP12, do i have to get/use also a sequencer like Cubase? Or the drecorder only is enough?

Or maybe both of them? Pleez, advice me!!

Depends what you want to do. What kind of music do you want to make? Are you going to play all the instruments live?

Bit more info please.

KasioRoks.

i want to produce trance, you know whith synth, effect processors and stuff like this.

OK, if you're gonna make trance you are definitely going to need some kind of sequencer. This could be a software thing like Cubase or hardware like the Yamaha RM1X. My personal opinion on this (and there are loads of different views out there) is that a hardware unit is easier to start on, is more robust for live use and may even have tighter timing (that's what some people reckon anyway). However it is also more limited as to what you can do with it and (once you get used to the sotware) and actually harder to control. I use Cubase to sequence with, but perversely I'm thinking of getting hold of a second hand RM1X to come up with loops on, because I like that hands on thing that sometimes Cubase doesn't offer.

Given what you've said about what you want to do I wouldn't go for the Akai (not yet at least), where you're at you don't need to get into recording, you need to write a few tunes first and then think about recording them. I think your best bet to start with might be to for something like the RM1X or RS7000 (I think that's what it's called, it's the new thing from Yamaha and does sequencing and sampling) and another synth (maybe a Nova or a Supernova). I think you'll find it easier to start making trance that way. Later on maybe you can think about getting Cubase to get more flexible and even to record onto, but honestly that's a while off yet, and by then you'll have had a chance to get more of a feel for what you need.

As I said this is just personal opinion and I'm sure other people will disagree with me. Hopefully someone else will post their thoughts as well.

KasioRoks

trance?

here's what you WANT:

1. NOVATION SUPERNOVA synthesizer (the 1.0 second hand is cheap nowaday)

2. YAMAHA or EMU sampler (middle-range models are fine, and much cheaper than the high-end models) with 64MB of ram is fine.

3. CUBASE VST/32 5.0 (R7)

4. NATIVE INSTRUMENTS BATTERY (I have it and frankly it beats any drumbox I've ever seen), works inside Cubase VST

5. Mixer... OK if you have the money get yourself a YAMAHA 01V (digital) or if you don't have enough, get a MACKIE 12 tracks (analog, but very good). plug in the supernova and sampler's audio ports.

6. Good soundcard: IF YOU TOOK THE ANALOG MIXER: I'd go either for an ECHO LAYLA or a MIDIMAN 1010; IF YOU TOOK THE DIGITAL MIXER, get yourself a soundcard with an ADAT port, and get the ADAT option for the mixer (ADAT lets you route audio signals back and forth between the mixer and the computer/cubase very quickly).

7. A REAL midi interface: MIDIMAN 4x4 USB (to plug both Supernova and sampler's MIDI ports and control them)

8. GOOD cables ("blue" MONSTER cables will do the job), makes a whole difference.

9. MIDI controller: a cheap CMK-37 or 100 dollars one will do if you are not in need of a large keyboard

10. speakers... also called STUDIO MONITORS... If you don't have a lto of money but want a good sound still, buy a combo: ALESIS RA-100 amplifier + ALESIS MONITOR ONE pair of speakers. Pretty accurate monitoring. If you DO have money, get yourself the fabulous EVENT 20/20BAS (bas is important) and plug them directly on the mixer monitor/OUT.

THERE you go... A nice Trance studio keys in your hands. YES it is quite expensive, but here you can compose anything you want! Trance very well, but also anything else.

Fuqin hell ManoOne - how much???

Nesco everything ManoOne has said is good, but you'll have to be absolutely minted to buy it all and you'll probably go mad trying to learn how it all works. Take it easy with what you buy to start with, learn what each thing does and then move on. Faced with that mountain of gear you would probably give up after 2 months which would be a shame.

He's dead on with the mixer though, you'll definitely need one of those if you have more than just one thing creating sounds (for instance the RM1X and the Nova). The 01V is very expensive though check out Behringer as well as Mackie. A controller keyboard will be very useful if you do buy a rackmount synth (or a sampler).

The reason I reckon that something like the Rm1X or the RS7000 would be good for you to start out on is that you will be able to get going fairly quickly (which I personally believe is really important). There are software packages out there which people rate as well. I don't use them so I don't know much about them, but the names that come up a lot are Fruityloops and Reason (and Rebirth, but I think that Reason may have replaced that?)

Keep hunting around (check out the websites for Propellerheads (they make Reason and Rebirth) and Fruityloops and don't spend any money yet. Oh and if you go into a music shop and someone makes you feel stupid 'cos you don't know something remember to inform him that you will never buy any gear from his shop.

Good luck.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
hehehe

well... as you said all i posted is good ;) its actually good enough to be a result from a music consultant :D aaa

okok... less money? BUY REASON. voila. REASON you are fine. Read the review on this site.

Kasioroks is right! I have just started out with the RS7000 it's very easy to use as well as having features of software like recycle.

ok, thank you very much. i'll kept every advice in head when i'll buy the equipment!

thanx again!

ManoOne said:
trance?

4. NATIVE INSTRUMENTS BATTERY (I have it and frankly it beats any drumbox I've ever seen), works inside Cubase VST

Mano1 : just a little more question; what's the real name of this soft synth (it's a soft synth, isn't it? ) cuz i searched under NATIVE INSTRUMENTS BATTERY and i found nothing!

thanx again!

Back