What Should I Buy For My Studio?

D

dsquad973

Up until now I've used a gateway and fruity loops to make beats. I now want to build a studio, what do you guys think i should buy. I want your opinions on everything from keyboards, to rack items, to computer. Please list the price you think ill have to pay if i buy it all new. I want at least 3 keyboards, a mpc, a new comp, and some rack items.

Thats alotta cash man. I never reccomend buying tons a gear, you should get a few peices learn them thoroly THEN expand. Maybe you should just start with an MPC 2000XL fully expanded and a Motif ES 6 (or synth of your choice). Get a new PC some software, then when you feel you have run out of sounds (which i dont see why).. buy some racks.

You want 3 Keyboards off top?

I think you rely ought to slow down playboy. lol

Check out a Guitar Center so you can go listen to some boards yourself to see what fits your musical taste, ya dig.

It sounds like you just want equipment for equipment's sake. You could easily blow $20.000 on those things, so think for a moment what you're really lacking, and then do a little research what might suit that need. If you just go and buy all that stuff, chances are you'll be selling some of it in eBay after a couple of months, and just end up losing money in the process.

A question: what's the "gateway" you've been using to make beats?

Here's all you need:

A nice expandable synth because you'll be able to create your own sounds unlike regular "keyboards", make sure you get a synth or workstation/synth;

BUDGET STUDIO:
Synthesizer:: Alesis QS6.2> $600 (you can expand with new sounds)
Software:: Cakewalk Home Studio> $150
PC (1GHz,512Mb Ram)
Soundcard:: (Terratec DMX 6fire) $100
Computer Speakers:: (Altec Lansing 5.1 Speaker System, 6-Piece)> $100

-- The Alesis has a built in sequencer, so it may seem redundant at first to buy sequencer software, but with the software you can download/use numerous effects, Dxi instruments and virtual instruments. Also the computer speakers sound excellent with a budget home studio. Also, just upgrade your computer which shouldn't be much at all.

MY STUFF:
Synthesizer: Triton LE w/ Sampling Option> $1200-1400
Software: Sonar XL, Acid, Fruityloops
PC (1GHz, 1Gb Ram)
Soundcard: Emu 1212M PCI Interface> $200
Monitors: Fostex PM05 Powered Monitors> $250

No No No, go the the store yourself! play with the stuff yourself! do the research yourself! find your needs out yourself! then make the decision yourself! whats good for everyone else may not be good for you! duh! it's not hard...everybody is gettin lazy these days with everything, first with beat, now people don't want to do research about gear themselves?? pretty soon you will want us to make your beats for you too. Sorry for going off but damn people, some things you can do yourself...

that's very true, i'm just trying to prevent him from blowing your money by buying a $5000 synth and not using it to its fullest potential and then losing motivation....but like you said he needs to get out there just giving him an idea of what to look at...

Three keyboards?!?!?!? I'm five years into production and I only have two. And one of them is an Oxygen 8. :) The other is a V-Synth. Can't scoff at that one. I make hip-hop, and am a music theory man, so I don't have a use for 88 fully-weighted keys as I am a one hander at best (Mostly stepwrite/build up melodies/tap pads). And if you ain't no Mozart on the keys yourself, don't get three. Sheesh. And don't get redundant geaar starting off. Here is a good and decent set-up to make beats, record vocals, mix and master on a budget that isn't going to make you look wasteful, but still give you a respectable set-up (as far as this site is concerned).

Computer 2gh processor/512 MB ram/80 gig HD/CD burner. $1000-$2000 depending on options.

Sonar 3 Producers Edition (Since you like Fruity anyway) $450.00

M Audio Firewire 410, you'll have to build up tracks two to four at a time, but if you are new to hardware, assignable outs will be lost on you anyway. $300.00

M Audio Solaris Mic. $275.00

M Audio BX8 Monitors $480.00

Roland MMP-2 Mic Modeling Pre $250.00

Motif 6/Triton Classic/Fantom S $1500.00

MPC (Since you HAVE to have a MPC; the MV is better though) $800.00-$3200.00 depending on the model. I say get the 1000 $900.00

Korg MS2000BR (if you are new to hardware synthesis, start here) $500.00

Turntable $100-$400 depending on which one you get.

Table top CD player. $200-$500 range

Mixer $200-$500 range will suffice.

Sonic Maximizer $200.00

Misc software synths/effects plug-ins/sample CD's $600.00 (Don't go overboard)

That will keep you busy for years. $8,000.00 tops. And if you drop all that at once, you'd be crazy. But if you got that kind of cash all at once, go for it.

first i think you need to get the smallest fantom,motiff,or triton le and a mpc 1000 and learn how to use them together. When you learn how to make some music then take another step.

Last edited:
Back