What kind of door is good for soundproofing a Studio

MoneyMike

Hey. Im building a studio in my basement and I want to know what kinds of doors are good for keeping sound in the studio. Is there a inexpensive soundproof door or some specific door that does well with keeping sound in a room.

Thanks in Advance.

MoneyMike said:
Hey. Im building a studio in my basement and I want to know what kinds of doors are good for keeping sound in the studio. Is there a inexpensive soundproof door or some specific door that does well with keeping sound in a room.

Thanks in Advance.

It is going to be HARD to make it "soundproof" but use a SOLID door and, even more important, is to make sure that it is SEALED on all sides and bottem. Most of the sound goes though cracks (bad sealing) then anything else most of the time. I myself have double doors but that can be tough to build.

Glenn

There is no such thing as a real, soundproof studio door on the cheap...they're generally up in the $5,000 range. As another poster pointed out though, you can make some improvements. Sayers' forum is full of great info.

Frank

Obitheincredible said:
The same doors they use on bank vaults will do. Otherwise not really.....

um i think you would suffocate:sing:

depends if you want your studio to be made on a budget and how much you want to spend, id recommend making a sound proof room with sound proofing and then buying a recording booth and put the microphone inside that, that way sound bounces around the box and you get an equal sound in the recording booth

RoshhhProductions said:
depends if you want your studio to be made on a budget and how much you want to spend, id recommend making a sound proof room with sound proofing.

How would you do that? Putting acoustic treatment on a door, foam or otherwise, will not make it sound proof...only adding mass will do that. You also have to address

RoshhhProductions said:
...and then buying a recording booth and put the microphone inside that, that way sound bounces around the box and you get an equal sound in the recording booth

That depends totally on what you buy. Even a so-so "isolation booth" will cost you $8,500. You could probably build a much better one for about the same, but it has to be built properly and has to be the right size. A 4'x4'x8' closet is going to sound like donkey poo no matter what you do to it.

Frank

Back