what else do I need to make trance house etc. ?????? sex

irie

Hi everybody,
I like trance music and especially epic breakbeat progressive house stuff. I listen to a lot of Paul Van Oakenfield and stuff like that. Right now, I've got:

Fischer Price My First Sampler,
a midi-capable harmonica,
and some rocks and sticks that I've modified to send Midi Notes,
and also a nice 1 channel mixer that my mom sold me for cheap.

What else do I need to sound like Paul Van Dykenfold?

Thanks,
DJ TRANCEFLOORFILLAKILLA

I don't know. Maybe these things you wrote about are quite perfect for, uhm.. trance. Hehe :)

Take care

PS: In your subject you wrote sex after the ??'s. May I ask why? do you also need this every day to produce good music?

irie said:
. . .Right now, I've got:

Fischer Price My First Sampler,
a midi-capable harmonica,
and some rocks and sticks that I've modified to send Midi Notes,
and also a nice 1 channel mixer that my mom sold me for cheap.

What else do I need to sound like Paul Van Dykenfold?

ROTFF ! ! ! ! !

you'll definitely need some sorta metallic bucket to get those progressive nu-skool ambient basslines.

I would also recommend investing in a ukalele, cuz I think Paul van Dickenfolds uses that on his albums. He spins dnb though, doesn't he?

No man! You got that all wrong!!! It's Carl's Cock that spins dnb. Oakenfield spins progressive popular dance...

YO! Get some deckz!!

Hey, if u want trance, get decks, a decent sound system, a good computer, a nice sound card, floorstander speakers that deliver trouser flapping bass, and some decks (Technics SL1200) and one hell of a mixer. Digitally edit your mixes in a $30 program, and record them onto MD (Minidisc, if you know what that is), and hav some fun!!! (I cnnot accept responsibility for debts incurred).:)

Clo :bat:

well if you wanna be like Oakey - don't forget the following 5 things:

1) LOADS of cocaine
Damn you seen some of the photos of him? sheesh.

2) A Face like Mr. Potato head
Don't forget - he's an ugly bastard

3) Shite career path
Despite being voted on of the worlds top dj's and having fat paycheques - he doesn't do shite no more.

4) Be a Tosser at all times.

5) Don't promise a list of 5 things if u can't think of 5.

Get a Sampler like a Yamaha A4000 to start with and
then a Keboard like a CS6X, Computer for Sequencing,
CDR, Wavelab,Cubase v5,Loads of plugins, Access Virus b, Studio Amp, Makie Mixer, HHB C5 Monitors.

This would make a good start to producing good Dance music but you could always stick to to dustbin lids and the spoons?:cry:

ukcoolat said:
well if you wanna be like Oakey - don't forget the following 5 things:
5) Don't promise a list of 5 things if u can't think of 5.

HAHAHA! that made me laff :D

Seriously tho, I think oakey moved to LA. Don't know what the hill he's doing there (working on Perfecto radio?), but that's the last I heard! I think he's planning to take over the US, well good luck, hah! Also he's on the Area:One tour that Moby set up. Man that's going to be nice, but expensive as all $$$$.. not sure if I'm going yet.... I've seen oakey (semi-impressed), moby rocks live with the band, haven't seen Cox, and timo nor new order are at the show here :rolleyes:

I think the best way to get von Foldendyke's sound is to get a set of good decks and BOATLOADS of records. I think one thing that puts Dykenfield ahead of a lot of other DJ's and electronic musicians is that he has more records than Ellis Island. Fatboy Slim is the same way. He has several thousand. Both of them also excel at listening for similarities between whatever wierd or obscure sample they are working with and the beat that they chose.

I've come to the conclusion, and I hope that if I'm wrong that someone will tell me, that to be good at making music (with samples), you should spend at least as much time listening to songs as you spend on composing new pieces.

:cheers:

Back