What does your master fader look like?

• Thread starter DishWashing_Strategy
  • Start date
D

DishWashing_Strategy

Hi again it's good to be back at FP after a month, I am actually a regular visitor here but when I did a system restore on my Mac, I forgot my former password and email account that I used to use here at FP. Oh well, goodbye 300 posts and I was really after that avatar too.

Here's my question, someone recently asked me what does my master fader look like and I thought it would be great to ask that with people here.

Here's mine:

UAD PultecPro
UAD FairChild 670
UAD Cambridge EQ
MOTU Limiter

I know what your going to say; a coloration EQ like the Pultec on a master fader? but I have seen a couple of people do it. It gives my mix an extra kick on the highs and lows but most of all it gives it analog warmth. Then I use the FairChild 670, I know it's not a multi band compressor like an X5 or a C4 but I am not really a fan of multi bands and most of my tracks are already leveled moderately using other comps, plus I really like the sound it gives, it's extremely punchy and clean; and again it adds analog warmth as well.

Then, I use the Cambridge EQ to correct what the Pultec messed up, then just a simple limiter from Digital Perfomer, I don't do any dithering. I do that later using a Pow-r.

If you guys think there's something wrong with my master fader plugin chain feel free to correct me, I am very open for suggestions in improving in this area.

So what does your master fader look like?
I am very interested on how you guys chain your plugins.

Are you saying that you have all these plugins in your master channel on the mix? I'd strongly recommend to not have any plugins at your master output, but rather do the mastering afterwards on your stereo wav file. That gives you much more control over the mastering process.

> I use the Cambridge EQ to correct what the Pultec messed up

That's a really bad idea to mess up first and try to correct it later.

But in the end it all boils down to: how does it sound like? :)

Hi there.
--------------------------
Giganova wrote:
I'd strongly recommend to not have any plugins at your master output, but rather do the mastering afterwards on your stereo wav file. That gives you much more control over the mastering process.
--------------------------

The Main-output is the source to my stereo wav-file when i export it right?
So (AFAIK) there is no difference wether i apply the "mastering settings" on the Main-out or on the exported wav-file.

But here is more.
When i start to manipulate my main-out i notice how my mix is "falling apart". Hi-Hat gets "louder" or vocals getting "darker" etc
Now when i make my manipulations
directly in the main-out i can change my mix accordingly.

I know this is not standard procedure but if it helps me improve my mixes... ;-)

GreetZ
Jan

The right way to do it is to bounce your mix to an interleaved stereo WAV file. Next you would load that WAV file into your sequencer, master it, and dither it down to a 16/44.1 file.

The mastering process should be kept separate from the mixing process.

The right way to do it is to bounce your mix to an interleaved stereo WAV file. Next you would load that WAV file into your sequencer, master it, and dither it down to a 16/44.1 file.
Yeah you are right about that, not much else to say........

Giganova said:

The mastering process should be kept separate from the mixing process.

Should be..but it doesnt have to be that way...when you know ur setup and it's limitations..you can master on the fly...

For me loading a nice preset on the master is just one less step in the end..the resulting .wav files are fully mastered..no clipping...no muddy basslines

Last edited by a moderator:
I 98% of the time apply my mastering tools to the 2 track wave file within Samplitude. I track and mix within Cubase and merely use mastereing tools within a mastering software.

i always get the full mix file before even thinking about applying anything to the mix as a whole

Back