What does the future hold?

K

kk994

As a kid I remember watching Buck Rodgers and in one episode they were all on a futuristic dancefloor doing this weird future dance to what I remember as being kind of like what minimalist techno is now(but it probably wasn't) and I thought WOW the future is gonna be great with weird music that nobody knows about.
Is there any music out there now thats got that weird future vibe about it. What direction do you see music/production going in.
Will it be wetware plugged directly into your brain. What you think is going to automagically appear on some kind of holographic storage medium.
Any thoughts?

autechre

check them out....from germany...no words...they might have a site but just do a search in google or limewire or something

In the near future well see all CD's coming out in Dolby 5.1 instead of stereo, but not until all CD players are 5.1 capable. That will probably help with creating some excellent effects, especially with trippy music, like Tool or Pink Floyd, or something equally weird.

In musical terms I think well see this hip-hop/rap phase diminish a bit quite soon, and more and more people will begin to realise that your not allowed to listen to just one genre of music (if I have anything to do with it they will anyway).

Hopefully, people who want to listen to crappy chart music will all be forced to live in their own colonies, where money-grabbing record label chiefs can peddle their wares without guilt, in the knowledge that they aren't hurting the ears of anyone with decent musical taste, with their inane, babbling, plinky plonky boy band nonsense.

Hopefully, the range of music available will continue to grow, and people will all have diverse and different musical tastes, and the masses won't be sheperded into believing one type of music is better than another by multi-million dollar advertising and crap TV shows.

Rant over.

OutOfFaze said:
In the near future well see all CD's coming out in Dolby 5.1 instead of stereo, but not until all CD players are 5.1 capable. That will probably help with creating some excellent effects, especially with trippy music, like Tool or Pink Floyd, or something equally weird.

Oh lord please dont say that. 2.1 is already a big ass ...... 570 dollars for Mackie HR's and now i gotta go buy 3 more and drop anther 1800? Plus i gotta set up stands all around and build a freakin bubble dome studio so that I dont get any bouncing of sounds. Please... no 5.1!

Jos

unfortunately, 80's music will become extremely popular again, but i try not to think about it. not so grim is the fact that there will be a lot of cross polination across genres. and of course, repetitive dance music will never die.

Oh lord please dont say that. 2.1 is already a big ass ...... 570 dollars for Mackie HR's and now i gotta go buy 3 more and drop anther 1800? Plus i gotta set up stands all around and build a freakin bubble dome studio so that I dont get any bouncing of sounds. Please... no 5.1!

Jos

Yeh, there's already album's out in 5.1, the re-release of Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon to name one.

I'm all for surround sound - quad setups, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 10.2...! Hopefully there will be more exploration of sound dispersion, new and interesting genres of music and unique recording techniques and production styles....but I have a feeling the era of manufactured boy-bands and highly processed girl-groups is far from over...

Nell x

well the oblivious choices for "future music" as you call it would be kraftwerk, tangerine dream, lemon jelly, square pusher, plastik man and lots of others... music goes in phases i have found; rap/ hip hop which is dying out, next comes dance/ elecronica music, then a breif stage of techno pop, then to boy bands and girl bands, then punk, followed or simultaneously played with alternative hippie rock or mpc rock, then basc to hip hop/ rap... i dunno if this just happens or if the music industry decides when to change peoples tastes... what do yall think?

Thanks for all your replies I was just interested to hear a few other veiwpoints. Realistically, I think, in terms of production PDA's seems to be the in thing in the institutes with a lot of research going into porting software over to the PDA format. Small is good.
Also I think ergonomics of control will be a new thing. There is a lot of research going into the way you input note and control data. At the minute the mouse does not rock the spot and forcing people to learn piano keyboard to make electronic music is hopefully going to die out soon. Although Breath controllers and Guitar Midi hookups didnt last VDrums seems to be lasting.
In terms of music Im at a loss. Ive been aware of Autchere and Glitch techno for a few years now and I think creativily its run its course. The last hope for me were acts like Bugz In the Attic/Madlib and IG Culture but they have all moved towards boring R&B licks execept for Madlib but he is doing Stevie Wonder covers... I think what we need to be looking for is music in the past that didn't work but is up for a new leash of life. I just cant think of any...

I definately seems as though the internet will probably be the focus for the future of the music industry, which is a shame, because music is so important that I feel it shouldn't be simplified down to a simple bit of software.

Hopefully, when CD's have run there course we'll have another hard format for music. Software music may be more convenient, but hardware like CD's is infinite, and music should be afforded that respect in my opinion.

There will be "artists" who are 100% products, digitally created CGI characters who perform material that includes a voice either contributed by someone or, preferrably, completely synthesized. As opposed to the painstakingly produced curiosities they are now, they will be an everyday fare.

More people will be hearing true 3D audio systems at some point of their life; not a direct continuation of the "fake" 3D trend (5.1, 6.1 .. etc .. more and more speakers dispersed onto a flat 2D plane) but a system with a real 3D audio field, speakers positioned to convey the width, depth AND height of the audible space.

Computational power will make complex realtime physical modelling possible on a project studio level. Eventually the idea of gigantic, custom multisampled acoustic sample libraries will become obsolete and instead we will be dealing with gigantic libraries of modelling data :) based on the actual physical essence of the instruments themselves; not merely on numerous recordings of their characteristic sound.

Software vs. hardware wars will gradually become obsolete - in the sense we perceive them now - as, however, even more "trueness vs. the new thang" wars will be around to pick from. They always are :D ... Tactile physical instruments that produce sound traditionally vs. modelled ones that produce sound algorithmically according to control data will be one of such general quarrels, as will be the use of a synthesized human voice vs. the use of a biologically genuine human voice. As always, little by little the answer boils down to "use both, depending on your need and taste!"

The increase in computational resources also enables the use of semi-aware and semi-conscious systems which learn from the creative processes that take place in the studio. Combined with more efficient biorecognition, this results in various interface augmentations and offers a dramatic shift in the level of intuitive control we can have over a digital project. Thus also the expression of "a biologically genuine human voice" above; there will be hybrid technologies involving aspects of our natural vocal qualities as well as artificial ones. New controlling methods and our bodies become more intertwined and we will have, among other things, the ability to imprint any voice (or any other sound, for that matter) onto the control data derived from the detailed, recognized actions of our natural vocal process.

Last edited:
Im hearing ya Guenon!!!

Physical Modelling is coming into its own now... Tassman 4 has some fantastic sounds ....especially the bell tones and some of the plate skinned instruments sound unbelievable.... even better than most samples. AAS have put out the lounge lizard but I havent heard it yet so I dont know about that... I remember drooling over the yamaha VLM1 but it never really took off (at €5000 who could be surprised)... The lastest installment in physical modeling I've seen, is the diminuitive Korg Legacy with its component modelling technology and I've got to say, as is the case with the Tassman, the filter sounds unbelievable in comparision to most digital synths.
LEON and LOLA Yamaha's synthetic backing singers... have you heard them...Still that old Voco sound at the edges still impressive...still not there.

There have been experiments in bodily control of expressive data but like granular synthises your not quite sure what your going to get out. It is very impressive (what I've seen) in that you can get weird sounds out very easily but its drawback is predictability.

Actual 3D sound!!!!! Can you imagine it. Being able to walk around a recorded performance and listen to instruments as you if you were there. I wonder could they rig up some gadget that senses your movements in a room and adjusts DSP'd playback accordingly. Tricking your brain into thinking you were closer to an instrument or further away or to the left/right/up/down. I am sure its possible but can you imagine the algorythms. I can hardly make JAVA say 'Hello World' so i wont be doing it for a while....

Anymore ideas...this is great stuff so far....

everyone starts making thier own intruments.. circuit bent playskool toys.. put an input an old walkman's playing head for a nifty distrotion unit..

people writing thier own software or at least apps for thier software so they can do what they want to...

free ice cream for ferrats

Microsoft will make digital artists that can sing/rap like anyone. You just type in the song and the tempo and thats it.

Jos

can u imagine a DIGI Image of some blinged out rapper and then Bill Gates voice being out thru a vocoder to sex it up......

Imagine? It's gonna be here before you know it. Steve Hawking rappin about bling and 24 inch chrome spinners on his wheel chair.

Jos

kk994 said:
Actual 3D sound!!!!! Can you imagine it. Being able to walk around a recorded performance and listen to instruments as you if you were there.

Yeah :D! I have actually listened to a system like this. That is, a speaker setup and true 3D acoustic recordings done with a custom made mic setup for the system, not an algorithm of any kind. The difference was quite astounding when compared to "flat" systems - these things will be in theatres in the future. The sound field was very natural, one could stand up and walk around and the illusion remained intact. Pinpointing instruments and perceiving the space felt great.

Originally posted by infradead
put an input an old walkman's playing head for a nifty distrotion unit..

Man! I have done that, sort of :), still have a walkman somewhere with a telephone tap soldered to its playing head. The trick is, the tap picks up electromagnetic waves, not actual sound. That walkman mod is great for recording all kinds of electric fields and interference noises - all that stuff that surrounds us constantly but what we don't perceive. The "sounds" of computer components, synth insides and stuff. The screeching that emits out of a hard disk or an old modem is a blast :D

Last edited:
Back