What do you think of this setup ?

mikefatom

hey guys,

i'm getting some parts for my first self-made DAW, just wanna know what you think about it :

- MB : Asus P4S-533
- Ram : 512 MB DDR333 ( PC2700 )
- Video Card : Matrox Geforce4 G550 or G450 (Dual head)
- Processor : Intel Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz
- Hard Drive : 80 GB, 7200 RPM
- CD-RW : Plextor 40x12x40
- DVD-Rom : none for now... gonna get one eventualy...
- Soundcard : Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96
- LAN : integrated in the mobo
- USB : 6 port integrated in the mobo
- Cheap, flat screen monitor.

Any feedback, opinion or suggestion is appreciated...
Tell me if i forgot something besides the obvious items like the case, PS, keyboard,....

thank a bunch,

mike

Hey,

Looks good to me. Although something you may think about adding is a 2nd HD in a removable HD bay. Thats kinda nice so your able to take you work to a friends or another studio. Kinda cool. But like I said looks good to me.

Later,
node

It's fine but I wouldn't get a cheap flat panel screen. They just suck. You'll have ghosting and color distortion. Go for a nice CRT instead. There are some very nice Sony's and Mitsubishi's, check them out.

BTW Matrox doesn't make Geforce based cards. For that matter I wouldn't go with anything but nvidia cards anyway (although I know some people who are liking their ati's too.) They are very reliable. Oh, and if you want to save money go with an AMD chip instead.

www.pricewatch.com (price comparison site.)
www.newegg.com (IMO best store based on price vs. service.)

-Gene

i would go for a matrox perhelia 512 gpu...
then run 2 17" flatsecreens!!!!

but of course it is a price question...
(i wish i had that!)

rick j

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the replies.

Sorry about the double post, i won't do it again, promise :bat:

gene-pool : yup ! your right, their cards are not Geforce based; i don't know why i was thinking so... maybe i saw it on some site not too reliable...
I don't care much about the graphic card since im just gonna do audio stuffs and NOTHING else... but i want a dual head card so i can get more work interface.

rick j : i wish i could get that too but as i said, my main priority is the performance in audio application and not graphics... a good dual head 2D card should do more than enough. Flat panel are real nice, take so much less space, are not hard on the eyes but cost the skin of my *** ! i'll eventualy get a pair when i can afford it though...

another question : is that true that the more rams the video card has, the less proccessing power is required from the CPU ? So, if i get a 128MB DDR ram card my computer would run faster than if i get a 32 MB DDR ? or maybe it's about the graphic processor used ? Can someone shed some light on this ? :confused:

thanks again for the suggestions,... keep it comin, i want the best audio workstation ! :D

mike

nah.... thats not true...
it doesnt really matter if you have a 32mb/64 or a 128...
its just a question of the graphic qualitiy u want...
it wont affect your cpu power...
but if u dont care in graphics so much get somethin more cheap than a matrox perhelia...
like you already said....
maybe a
Matrox Millenium G550
or a
GeForce4 MX440

rick j

Back