What do i need to start a home studio

Give me a rough idea of what kinda cashflow you're workin' with...

I'm guessin' you'll be doing hip hop? Are you gonna want to produce your own beats AND record vocals? Or just one of the two? Either way $3000 is a good amount to start with. There are several ways you can do it - me personally I would go the computer way. Grab yourself a nice but inexpensive mic (Studio Projects C1 or something similar), a decent pre-amp, decent sound card (Audiophile 24/96 is a popular one) and a computer with some decent programs (Reason, Cubase, etc) and you're set. And build yourself an isolation booth. You'll need it if you grab a nice condenser.

it doesn't matter

which you get. Mac or PC. You can do equally good things with both. Most of the software is cross-platform so major progs would be available for both.

If you know exactly what you need a PC would be cheaper in the long run in my opinion.

:o Don't get into the PC vs. Mac debate. Just try em both at a computer store or better yet a music store that sells software (some don't) and make YOUR choice.

holla

Word on the block is that Mac is the way to go, me personally I prefer PC. I don't think there is much difference between a Mac and a maxed out PC used purely for your music. I'm sure people are gonna argue which is better but really I don't see it being a big issue. Use what you feel comfortable with, just make sure you don't use it for anything other than music. As for the C1, that mic is very impressive. It has even drawn comparisons to to the U-87 (although admittedly not on the same level, it does have a lot of the same qualities). Definitely recommended...

yo

aye dawg mac is way betta, i got a reg. pc fo' my studio and we wish we got a mac, PLUS all the good programs are on mac, and all tight producers use macs FA REAL THO.

Like I said, to each his own. It's all a matter of personal taste. I've used both and still I lean towards the PC. Everybody has their own preference, even though the Mac may be better suited to the job I still feel more comfortable with a PC based on my past experiences. As for the program issue, that ain't true. 95% of programs are compatible with both. 100% of the ones I use work with the PC, so I'm happy. Once again, it's all personal taste dun...

I'm up here in Canada and I'm looking for a decent Mic in Canadian funds. I've searched the net here and there but I'm comin' up short. Does anyone know of any stores close to or around the Toronto area?

SkyZu Ent said:
ayo any one know about the musicxpc computer. is it as good as they say? check it out at musicxpc.com
First and foremost, that thing is way WAY over priced.

Second, how do they call it an Audio Production PC when it's using an integrated audio interface on the Motherboard? The only thing audio related is the fact that they claim it is quiet and it has dual HDD's.

I built a monster of a machine specifically for music production. It's a dual processor machine with 1gig of RAM. I put all the quiet fans and heatsinks in it along with a M-Audio interface. When it was up and running, I spend under a grand.

That machine MIGHT be worth half of what they are selling it for.

SFH

what could you use to build an isolation booth to record in? i know it has to be sound proof and ****, but what tools would be best to use?

Back