what do i need to MASTER

J

jxrok

look i have a great sounding mix and i want everything to sound like it does on my headphones and studio monitors .. now what do i need to master it and make it sound loud everywhere

--thanks in advanced--

yes,, i am using the digi 002
and i want to know what i need to master software wise and hardware wise (like using the dats ithink ??) if anyone can explain this process it would be very helpful

--- thanks in advanced ---

hey man this is my suggestion and a lot of other artist. learning mastering is a good thing, but it will save you a lot of headaches if you just send your mix to a professional and have them do it for about $50 u.s. you will end up being happier in the long run with having someone with a audio engineering degree do it for you. o yea that is your answer, you need an audio engineering degree or equal knowledge of software and frequency ranges to master music perfectly. it takes a good knowledge of sonic sounds, and freqency ranges to master properly. you can use cool edit pro to master your mix, but you need to know more then just a process. every track is different and the settings will not be the same when mastering two different tracks. just take it somewhere that is what audio engineers are there for... good luck with the mix...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to believe that you needed to send your tracks to be mastered by other folk.. That's until my boy set up his studio.. Listen to this seriously.. I've heard his track.. THEY SOUND GOOD EVERYWHERE..

This dude has a simple setup..
Mackie 1604 w/ a compressor going into a soundblaster card, recording with n-track and TC plugins..

He monitors with Event 20/20 passives running through a Hafler TA-100 Amp, using a tascam tmd-1000 as an eq..

What he did esessentially was to

1: Take a cd which you think has the best overall mix (R-Kelly's TP2.com was has choice)..

2: Eq your monitors to the source CD using a parametric eq (he uses the tascam tmd-1000 for this purpose

3: Take each sound from your synths. (He has a proteus, trinity, and a JX-305, and eq each channel (kick, snare, hh, etc to sound like the source CD..)

Mind, you will still have to do some tweaking here and there, but what he does works.

recording on a soundblaster. damn i used to do that when i was 15 carring around my pc in the trailer parks recordin some dudes that can't flow.

cryptide said:
recording on a soundblaster. damn i used to do that when i was 15 carring around my pc in the trailer parks recordin some dudes that can't flow.

lol

theres nothing wrong with a soundblaster mate. If you live in the US, UK or Japan check out your local indie music stores for a compilation called "Some People Think That///" under afrotech and unit.r records. 3 of my tracks are on there and i used a soundblaster to record and master my tracks.

peac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a SB audigy today. I played it and it sounded like all my highs were jacked up.:D

This is what a lot of people mistake and call "better clarity".:)

Honestly, I have a soft spot for SB cards. I used to run a SB live platinum with Emu APS drivers and I enjoyed using it a lot. However, I would not recommend them for most people.

I do plan to use my audigy as an effects processor eventually.:) Pair that up with KX drivers and output to digital and it should be set. The dynamics are pretty bad on the audigy in my opinion. From what I remember, the live was better at this. But I'll have to give it a better listen, and I don't have a SB live to compare back to back.

But, if a person can mix pretty well with a soundblaster card, more power to that person.

sleepy said:

I do plan to use my audigy as an effects processor eventually.:) Pair that up with KX drivers and output to digital and it should be set. The dynamics are pretty bad on the audigy in my opinion. From what I remember, the live was better at this. But I'll have to give it a better listen, and I don't have a SB live to compare back to back.

Honestly, if it wasn't for KX project drivers i would have replaced my SB live a long time ago :D

I am about to install those pretty soon.:) I have them downloaded but I want to mess around with stock drivers for a bit. I already had a few problems installing the drivers which I never had with the SB live.

APS drivers would be nice on the Audigy. Too bad they only work for the live under windows 98.

KX drivers are more flexible though, so that's a plus. But the interface I don't like too much.

i have a question. Are saying i could record my songs in one place and send them too a profesional engineer to master them, wouldn he have to be there in the studio with u too edit? please elaborate

That's what most people do really.

The mix is usually taken care of in one place. Then when everything is mixed in well and blended in, that's when the mastering comes in.

The mix is key, if you have a terrible mix your not going to be that excited about the mastering.

Back