What to do with $12,000?!?!

DJ Promo

I'm gonna have this $12,000 real soon. After reading hundreds of post from all around the web I'm getting more confused. First off, is the Software or Hardware question. I have almost every PC sequencing software you can think of, (full versions) so I'm covered. I've mess with them a little and they seem hard to master (but I'm getting there).

Then there's the MPC2000XL (my main choice). I am thinking of buying this machine to slave some modules like Mo Phatt, JV1080, etc. After a long research, I've seen a lot of post dissing the MPC and praising others like the RMX1. The price is good, but only 16 channels and I just want a good and powerful sequencer. How easy and reliable is the MPC sequencer by the way? Better than a PC?. I've been looking to a PC monitor for over 8 years (I'm a PC tech) and was thinking to go in a different direction with hardware gear. I'm going to use a PC always, because Cool Edit Pro is great for editing and software like ACID and Fruityloops can be useful if you really now how to use them.

Then is the WORKSTATIONS: Karma, Triton, Motif, etc. All of them with sequencers but also with good sounds and the last two offer sampling. Can sequencers in this workstations compare with an MPC?

What the hell I'm supposed to do here? Please help!!! To sum it up, this is the gear I was thinking of:

New PC, reinforced for audio
Akai DPS16
Mackie1604VLZ Pro
RODE NT-1 and a few other mics
Akai MPC2000XL Studio
Emu Mo' Phatt
Roland JV1010 or 1080
2 Technics 1200M3D (yes, I'm a turntablist)
Stanton SK-2FLTD
Shure M-447
Event 20/20 or Krok monitors
Alesis Amp
?????

Suggestions PLEASE!!! $12,000 is a lot and I want to use it well...

if you got all that money......and you aint saving it.....and you're just gonna spend it all on equipment....why dont you just buy the best stuff? like instead of a mpc2000xl.....get the mpc3000. i doubt anyone will disagree with you....only people that will are the people that choose to use software over hardware.....and that's all up to you. after reading on what you want.....you want an all in one workstation......that can be summed up in a couple of things......hardware:

mpc3000
mpc2000xl (whatever model)
rs7000
triton
motif
asr-x pro
su700

i'm too tired......but also....is this for studio? or live? cause that can also help too. but if i were you.....i'd get the mpc....3000.......since you're gettin a sound module....and then the rest of the gear you listed at the bottom....

If you get the following you'll be all set, ready to compose any style of music (not stuck inside electronic or dance). This is a serious setup:

. EMU E4 PLATINUM (arguably the best sampler out there)
. AKAI CDROMs: Distorted Reality 2, Miroslav Master Set orchestra (you load these banks in your sampler and its like a sound module)
. Waldorf Q rack or Access VIRUS B synthesizer
. YAMAHA 01V digital mixer with ADAT option
. soundcard with ADAT (plug the mixer and route digitally signals to and from your sequencer)
. a good dedicated midi interface MIDEX8 or MIIDMAN 8x8 USB
. ONE software sequencer (I suggest Cubase 5 or Nuendo or Logic)
. a good midi controller keyboard (between 100 and 1000 dollars)
. a pair of gorgeous EVENT 20/20bas bi-amplified studio monitors (speakers, plug directly to the 01V mixer)
. a lot of GOOD cables (blue Monster cables will do the job)
. of course a good PC (512MB to 1GB of RAM, 1Ghz+ CPU, good large 19 or 21 inch display)

voila

Now... YES some may step in and suggest something else... Of course different people = different ideas (same if you went to a studio consultant versus another). I believe that the listed above would be a great home studio for about your budget.

Why 12,000?

Thanks for replying and let me clear something out:

I'm not one of those Beverly 90210 kids that wants to be a Dr. Dre. I've paid my dues as a Dance Music/Hip-Hop DJ. All the things I now I've learned by myself and I always had to put up with cheap or used gear. In fact, I that helped me a lot in my development as a dj/producer. When you have limited gear sometimes it makes you find new things and ideas to create. In the other hand, how many times guys like you and me find ourselves daydreaming of all the NEW gear every time a new audio catalog arrives at our p.o. box? hmmm...

My $12,000 comes from a government program that is giving mini-grants to new small businesses. You have to make a serious proposal explaining everything about your business and include quotes for equipment, etc. I want to make a recording studio, and an internal source told me my proposal is getting approved. YEEEEAHHH!!!!...hum, so that's where my $$$ is coming from. No drugs, no rich daddies...

Everyone seems to agree on most stuff... but I'm going to put in my opinion just because.I work in a music store/recording studio so I get to mess with alot of sh!t.I really like Kurzweil stuff the best and since you got alot of $, I'll mention it... but of course you could just buy some sound modules. I also like the Mackie HR824's better than EVENT 20/20's. So there's my opinion if you want to go with it... but you might not want to since I'm just a kid with a rich daddy. ;)

There is only 1 word for monitors..

At least for nearfields...

NS-10's...

End of story...

As far as workstations go, I find the Triton much better than the others allthough alot can be said for the high end kurz's

Peoply love MPC's..I dont see why I find them overpriced for what you get..

But if you got money out the *** go for it...

If your serious about a recording studio you might want to consider a real recording board..but then again that could wipe 12k off right there..

Re: Why 12,000?

DJ Promo said:
No drugs, no rich daddies...
Damn, and I was going to suggest you buy a kilo of coke, cook it up into crack, and turn that 12 large into $100,000. But since you're probably not going to do that, can you tell me what govermnent program you're referring to? email me at eezer_goode@hotmail.com PLEASE! (yes, I stole my email addy from the Shamen)

If you want to go RØDE for a mic, don't take the NT-1; take the NT-2 (or NT-3); for a very very little more $$, you'll have a so much better mic

Just make sure you get plenty of ADAT digital outs. I don't screw around with analogue outputs anymore, if I can help it. Unfortunately, my Triton does not support ADAT.

I want to know about this program as well. I've been thinking about setting up a classroom where kids can learn how to create music on the computer.

llamativo@hotmail.com

Peace.

Program

Sorry, :cry: ...but this is a local program. Is not even going on in the whole Puerto Rico area. I'm lucky enough to live in one of the few towns where the program is working. :D

Re: broke

Kos said:
Um...
can I borrow like 300 bucks?:D

yeah....let me hold around 300-500 bones......college is killin me. i need a mixer and a mic

Re: Why 12,000?

DJ Promo said:
My $12,000 comes from a government program that is giving mini-grants to new small businesses. You have to make a serious proposal explaining everything about your business and include quotes for equipment, etc. I want to make a recording studio,

If you're trying to put together a serious studio, why not dump a lot of that money into a Protools system? You can get one up and running for around $6,000 (though that means only 1 mix farm card and i/o interface, but you can upgrade later). With the money left over, get an MPC and a couple other synths used and you'll be set. Don't think quantity, think in terms of quality. You can do a lot with just a few bits of really good gear.

Anyway, that's what I'd do with $12,000.

$12,000!!! I think im going to get that guy's book that has all those grants and stuff. that's somthing i dream if every night.

turntable wise... get a rane 56 when it comes out, much better sound quality, dope mixer. also get some ortofon scratch carts. better quality than the shures. i like the shures better, but you might as well get some ortofons just because the quality.

pro tools is pretty enticing, but you couldn't get all the neat buttons and flashing lights :D

you should think about getting your room acoustically treated to some degree. i would get a couple set of monitors. i would definetely get the ns10's and then just try out some ones that are more expensive.

$12,000 is a lot, but i will go very quickly...

Here's what I would do:

Nord Modular
Yamaha SY-77
Korg Prophecy
Roland Juno 106
Future Retro 777
Waldorf Microwave XT
Elektron Machinedrum
E-mu E64

FMR RNC Compressor
Lexicon MPX-1 Reverb and special effects
Sherman Filterbank
Korg SDD-3000 Delay
Pro Co Rat Distortion Pedal
Electron Harmonix Big Muff Distortion Pedal
A couple of Mics
A patchbay or two
Some nice wires

Logic Audio/Logic Control(When it comes out)
Alesis M1 Active
Mackie 24-4
Delta 1010
A nice computer

You'll probably want to switch a few synths and go with a workstation, I'd probably go with a Motif 6.

Just tossing some ideas at you, good luck.

Back