What are the best studio monitors for HIP HOP PRODUCTION?!?!?!?

QMinati

i wanna spend $400-$500 on a good pair.

im clueless on where to start i was looking at Alesis M1 MK2 Active Monitors but was wondering if there are better ones for the price, any info would be appreciated...

Hey,

I just got that pair of Alesis, under 30 days old. I'm willing to sell them for $380. The retail is $399 plus tax here in CA, which came to $430. I just got enough for the Mackies. E-mail me if you'd be interested and back to the thread..

Here's the order in which the top one goes at bang-for-the-buck:

1. Mackie HR824 (600 a piece)
2. Behringer Truth / Alesis Actives (good argument).

See ya later.

some simple advice- go "window" shopping and listen to ones that grab your attention and fit your budget. Any decent music store will set you up if they want the sale.....its personal preference and space -a lot to do with space. Are you in a huge room, a small room?

A good place to price check and buy equipment in the end is www.zzounds.com/a--2676837

If you've got US$500 to spend, check out the new KRK RP8s.

To my ear, their bass is tighter and more accurate than the Alesis actives. The Alesis monitors do "sound better" to some people, because of a hump in the low-frequency response which helps them sound "bigger". But remember, you're not going for "good-sounding", you're going for something that'll reveal the flaws.

The KRKs are slot-ported, reducing the "chuffing" port noise when cranked up, which round-ported monitors tend to exhibit. The woofer is glass-composite rather than polypropylene, which sounds better (tighter) to my ears, and less resonant.

That said, what's really most important is that you learn your monitors. Listen to CDs with which you're intimately familiar, and to which you've listened on all sorts of playback systems, under all conditions.

Bring those CDs to your local retailer and check out all these monitors head-to-head. The important thing is what you hear, and with which you can get your best work done.

-Hoax

Last edited by a moderator:
yo calchrn2010, studio monitors are speakers that u use when producing because they dont "color" the sound as much as commercial speakers and let u know what ur beat REALLY sounds like withouth enhancements to the best of their ability.

future, ima have to do my research before answering u...

allison im gonna be in a pretty small studio apartment...

yo hoax, ive NEVER heard of those so thats interesting, ive seen u giving good advice all over these forums so ill take that advice seriously but what are YOUR personal favorites??? do u feel the KRK is better than ur pair??

the ultimate decision i will hopefully hear myself but 10 ears are better than 2 so i value ur opinions, thanks again...

I have a pair of KRK V6 studio monitors and I gotta say they are great! Bass is tight and highs are crystal. As soon as I got them I noticed mistakes in old tracks I produced without them. They cost about $1200 a pair and are definitly worth it.

dont buy anything without hearing them first. take some cds you know to a store and listen to different ones. what i think is the ****, you might think sounds like ****. monitors are the worst thing to buy without trying first.

calchrn2010 said:
WHAT ARE STUDIO MONITORS CAN USEND A PIC MY WAY?

~KrkRp8

Are studio monitors necessary?

mkII powered and my mixes sound exactly
the way I mixed them on all the different
speakers that I crossed checked it on.
It takes practice and persistence
to learn how to mix to perfection
and that goes on no matter what monitors
you get.

If you are trying to get a "true" representation of what your mixes (beats and recordings) sound like then yes.

If you could care less then no.

aka - yes.

QMinati said:
do u feel the KRK is better than ur pair??

the ultimate decision i will hopefully hear myself but 10 ears are better than 2 so i value ur opinions, thanks again...

After listening to the Events and Alesis monitors for months, trying to decide, I heard the KRKs.

I took the KRKs home. I like my midrange to be more prominent than Events usually are, and I like my bass to be smooth and accurate (not "big"-sounding like the Alesis monitors).

They're not quite as loud as the Events, given the same input signal, but I keep mine set on 0dB (when they go up to +6), and they get plenty loud. Also, the treble control is nice. I keep mine on -1dB, which sounds good to me in my room.

Also, they smelled weird at first. I think they were still full of air from the KRK factory. I played some sustained low notes for about 15 minutes, and now the chemical smell is gone.

-Hoax

ok turns out i got enuff money for 20/20s, whats the difference between the original and the 20/20 V2? theyre the same price...

and what KRK monitors compete with 20/20s???

It's no so important the monitors you get as how do you understand (with the time) how do them 'affect' at your mixes. Thats mean that anything you buy, the most important think for your mixes sound like you want is not what model you choose; the real important thing is that you must learn their behavior with the differents frequencies of the spectrum. Thats the true bro. There's no a magic choose ;)

So dont worry about what you get; if you are going to produce rap just verify that the pair that you choose have a good response in low frecuencies.

The 20/20s are decent. I used a pair for a couple of years (until they got stolen.) I actually mastered albums on them.

Like TOSKO said, it's crucially important that you learn the sound of your monitors. Every pair of monitors is different, but if you learn how your monitors respond in your room, to all sorts of music, in all sorts of situations, then you'll be ahead of the game.

The new 20/20s have better front covers (the old ones, which I had, tended to peel after a while, especially if they took any bumps or bruises) and different tweeter surrounds. The woofer and tweeter are the same as the originals. The amplifiers are new (as is the toroidal transformer that powers them), and Event claims better damping factor, higher SPL, etc, etc.

But don't believe marketing hype. Believe your ears. In the end, they're the only link in your audio chain that will be there from beginning to end.

-Hoax

I have the Alesis mkII's and they work great sound is always good ,but again the mix will dictate the sound.The true sound will be good on these regardless.

its been a while since i did research on monitiros but i believe you would need some near field speakers. I have KRK RoKIts. They work very well! Your ears aren't overwhelmed with the bass, so you can hear your other sounds clearly. I would say to look for something like that!

Back