what is the best software and best laptop 4 recording?

R.D.

i have an mpc 2000 and asr-10 i need everything else. money is not an object at this point anyone heelp please!i want 2 know which is best .im thinking of getting the pro tools digi 002 and the apple powerbook with 512mb is this a good choice it also comes with krk rp5, monitors 500 ft of monster mic cables, a glyph tabletop hard drive 120gb ,a condenser mic ,and a few plugins extras for 4999$.is that worth it or is there a better software and laptop out ther 4 cheaper.

if you get the digi002 you will get pro tools LE software. if you dont mind its 32 track limitation and lack of VST support out of the box, it should do the trick. if not, look into Cubase SX (it can work with your digi002 no worries)

g5 + cubase sx, + digirack

although your gonna wanna cry when you find out that all your pan settings on your mpc won't follow through to your computer when you hook up the 8 outs into the digirack (or any 8 input interface for that matter)

akai's problem:

"Follow Stereo" turned on in your mixer settings on the mpc won't do jack but follow your volume level for each sound. what a f*ckin' bummer. just found out the hard way like 2 days ago.

anybody need an 8-out board? he he.

Runn; why not just sepeerate all the sounds via mono out of the 8 outs and then pan in Protools. and if you have some sounds coming out of the mpc stereo mains you can record those into protools with a stereo input. Seperating the sounds is a big part of using individual outs, and it takes a minute if you have a lot of sounds but there is no easy way to achieve this via software yet.

That package you had for 4999 is good. Regardless what anybody says about how good their program of choice is. The industry standard is PRO TOOLS. If you ever plan on taking you tracks somewhere else you need to be part of the in-crowd.

thats one of the biggest loads of **** ive ever heard. you dont have to get pro tools to take your work elsewhere. especially if youre sending something to get mastered. R.D. all of the programs work just about the same, yes pro tools is the "industry standard" but dont let that make up your mind. try the programs yourself and decide which you like best.

All ya need to remember if you are doing hard drive recording/editing is that you need two hard drives one as a system drive and the other a fast AV drive for storing and editing audio data. So IMHO a laptop would not be a very good choice, unless ya had a firewire external drive for audio storage/editing. As for software each to their own so find out what's a good economical choice for you...

Ha Ha "THE IN CROWD" Right now lil john is apart of the in crowd so start making beats like him too".

if money is no object-go for it all man pro tools HD the max get up is only about 250000.00

its not that much is it? the hd core system is about $14,000 for 96 channels of i/o. a 192 i/o is $4,000. and if you get 5 192 i/o expansions, one midi i/o, one sync i/o, and 4 pres its about $25,000. then you need a comp, definately a g5 dual 2.0 or 2.5 ghz maxed out everything probably about $10,000, and a control|24 for $8000. oh and that color coded keyboard they have is a great value. i mean $250 for a f***ing keyboard. does anyone know if theres anything special about it, other than its color coded? anyway the total comes out to around $62,000.

dont forget the 200,000.00 for the sound building-state of the art baby.

i was just going to make a thread about almost exactly the same thing and my wish list was a 17 inch power book, a mpc2000xl, a mackie hdr2496 only if i find it used, and some programs that i have not decided on yet... forgive my ignorance i am a dj but i am beginning to enjoy the thought of production a lot too... tell me what programs i should get and if a hard disc recorder is too much for my relatively basic wants/ needs...

use sonar3 and some waves plug ins. and get a mv8000 instead of the mpc being a dj your options on the mv are way moore better.

what's the difference they seem to be about the same... how would it fitmy needs better? plus the akai is cheaper...

G4 powerbook

OK...i made my first 5 albums productions with G4 powermac from a friend of mine and logic platinum 4.8.1....used VST pluggins and soundeffects,ESX24,ESX88,ES1,AKAI sound library etc etc....Logic 5 and 6 are cool but not all of them great oldschool pluggins are working on it anymore....Basicly any Logic is fine,cuz it has better timing then any other music software and gives u 100%freedom compositions...I made a classical album for strings qartett and piano...some rock,hiphop dance hall,jazz and acustic music...I love it...

Last edited:
google both;go to other forums;research the options and im sure you will see the truth. in my studio our sampler guy have used all the machines and found the mv to do better when sampling records and using filters to mod.

Back