What is the best music editing software out there?

airmcnair06

What is the best music editting software people? I know of only two programs which are: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and Sound Forge 7.0. Everybody thats ees this thread please give your opinion on it I would really appreciate it Thanx alot!

For editing i like to use acid pro and sound forge. Cool edit pro is for like complete ametuers.

Dance monkey!
:monkey:

Depends what your doing, C.E.P can do alot if you know what your doing, just like any other software or hardware. SoundForge would probably do the track, or Cubase.

Hey there & welcome

:hello:

Soundforge is a great stereo editor & I use it everyday for stuff. I prefer Wavelab for mastering stereo tracks on though. Something about the way that Wavelab is laid out - with the master section, plugins & meters all together is more appealing to me. Also, Wavelab's audio analysis is better IMHO. The only thing i prefer about SF is the keyboard shortcuts.

:)

MM

Last edited:
cubase sx ...wavelab 4......t-racks........the 3 wonders of the world. thats all you nead

Thank you all, so far I have 4 new programs written down to download. I downloaded sound forge and it wouldn't work on my sytem(windows me) But I am yet to downlaod the others so keep em' comin' and thanx for such a quick response!

airmcnair06 said:
Thank you all, so far I have 4 new programs written down to download. I downloaded sound forge and it wouldn't work on my sytem(windows me) But I am yet to downlaod the others so keep em' comin' and thanx for such a quick response!

:bigeyes:

If you must, I agree with messyman 100%. I never tried soundforge too much but it was okay, and only had a shot at Cool Edit once which I didn't like then.

Alex_87 said:
For editing i like to use acid pro and sound forge. Cool edit pro is for like complete ametuers.

Dance monkey!
:monkey:

I will not sit here and let someone as obviously inexperienced as you tell this forum that Cool Edit Pro is nothing compared to Acid Pro. I have used both and cannot see how someone doesn't become frustrated using acid pro.

Firstly there are no definebale keys. In Cool Edit Pro every single comman can be assigned to a key on the keyboard, allowing for, at many times, doing a complex echo, copy, bass drop all without ever touching the file menu.
The plug ins are quite limited too. Take the reverb or eq plug ins. With cool edit pro you can have up to 31 bands for your tweaking pleasure, Acid's interface is a 4 band with very little configurable options.
Cool Edit has Noise reduction and click/pop elimination for vinyl restoration that a lot of people have come to actually use in their vinyl restoration business. There are hundreds of users out there who have opened up businesses in vinyl restoration relying on the capabilites of Cool Edit. The sad noise reduction plug in's in acid cannot compare.
Cool Edit has a single AND multitrack view. Acid only has a cramped multitrack. You have to export to Sound Forge or another app if you want to actually edit the waveform itself or zoom in to find a ds offset.
Overall Cool Edit is much more configurable and useable than acid. If you want to copy a peice of the waveform to another track you just select the portion that you want and Shift+Drag it to the track that you want. With Acid you have to duplicate the entire track and then crop down the file. It is so annoying. There are TONS of little differences that are like this between Acid and Cool Edit Pro that gives Cool Edit the upperhand. If you do no understand the true capabilities of a program do not speak of it.
Things from 3 band realtime eq's on each track that you can easily drag up or down to adjust, without having to open up a seperate window. defineable rulers to show cd frames/smtpe values.
Cool Edit has a farther range of effects, you have things such as Dynamic, which is a must for any dance/trance remixer, where is that in Acid? YOU CAN'T EVEN SIMPLY REVERSE A FILE IN ACID, just a simple reverse you cannot acheive using that program, and somehow you still think it's better than Cool Edit?
Acid makes things simple, and because of that a lot of the fundamentals of remixing have been lost to all new Acid users. To do edits for example, which Acid makes it very easy to do, you just have to select the portion you want in the
There are some things that Acid has that I wish Cool Edit did. Such as vst support, midi support and the ability to minimize individual tracks and the pitch support on each file, but that is nothing I haven't lived without or to use other programs for, easily, though they are noteworthy to mention with Acid.
I am not a Cool Edit only person, but when compared to Acid Cool Edit beats it to a pulp. Almost every engineer in the radio field uses Cool Edit to make those quick little radio presentations and commericals. It's just that user friendly and they know it. So don't come here and tell everyone about Acid when you probably like it because it beatmatches for you. Go and learn both programs in depth and then come back and give true advice, not empty comments like the one your provided.

For pc, I use Soundforge6 and the batch converter s/ware that you can download when you own Soundforge. I havent upgraded to 7 yet,, dont need the extra bells n whistles.
For my mac, I use Bias Peak3, excellent editor and even better when using scsi dumps etc...

It's a vibe thing. Whatever suits the user the most. All these s/wares are good, it's just about what interface you prefer and how you like to work.

On the PC I used soundforge or logic depending on what I was working on. Soundforge was really easy to use and can be very powerfull if you know what you are doing.

Now that I have gone Mac, I am using Logic and TC Spark. Spark is a little strange to get used to after using SoundForge for so long but it seems to be every bit as powerfull and it is FREE!
:victory:

Cool edit pro is for like complete ametuers.

I haven't used Cool Edit since it was Cool Edit 96 -- but making statements like the one above seems like just asking for trouble. I thought CE96 was pretty sophisticated (for the money which was something like $50).

I own Acid Pro (v.3 -- I got it cheap through SF... it's really not any part of my creative or professional life -- though it's great technology) and the thought of trying to do any serious audio editing/mastering sounds pretty questionnable. I mean you sorta could try...

I've used Sound Forge from v.3-v.5 and I've always found it adequate. I used to use it for mastering, but I've found that I'm getting better results mastering right in the mix file in Sonar [I lay the Timeworks 64 bit EQ and compression across the output buss -- after I've got the basic mix written... I guess I still think in terms of mastering as the final clean up... no reason to, though.]

who cares how much someone paid for a program! if its more expensive does it means it so much better? cool edit pro is an excellent choice for a novice and a pro. cool edit just makes things much easier

Cool Edit Pro IS a Good editing program. Its easy to use, comes with tons of effects right out the door and is pretty intuitive. Cool edit isn't just for ametuers. I have it and sound forge and 9 out of 10 times I need to edit sumthin I use cool edit. As a multitracker its pretty waterd down, but its a solid for editing

juniormint said:
who cares how much someone paid for a program! if its more expensive does it means it so much better? cool edit pro is an excellent choice for a novice and a pro. cool edit just makes things much easier

It doesn't really matter, although the prices paid do give some scope at which level the product in question is aimed at. I haven't really used CEP, but I doubt Adobe would've bought a sh*tty amateur program and sell it under a new name as a professional wave editing tool...

I got a question, that really didn't get answered in a past thread. I was debating gettin a wave editor, but I really need to save some cash. I am gettin ProTools LE tho w/ my Mbox. Can you do editing in that that relates to something like Soundforge or CEP? Like say I got a vinyl sample recorded and I want to chop ("trim") out a section like a single drum hit, could I do that in ProTools LE 6.1, or would I need to buy soundforge for another damn 300 bucks?

upgrade your comp before you do anything else
at least to XP

Back