Waves L1 and compressor questions

B

BThrowd

Alright i have a few questions
i have waves 4 and it has the L1 ultramaximizer, L1 ultramaximizer + and L2. Whats the difference between these and which one is generally better?
and when the threshold is at 0 and the ceiling is at 0 does that mean its effectly turned off? im not sure i understand why pulling the threshold down makes it louder. also whats too low as far as the threshold? i notice its starting getting ruff at about -3 but it doesnt actually clip. is there any kind of general limit as to how much you can pull the threshold down?
also what does quantize mean? it gives the option for 16bit and 24bit. but what if the track is 32?
about the compressors i see C1 and RComp
which one is better? does waves have a multiband compressor?

final question is about attack and release times. i think i understang but im not sure. so an attack time of .5 is faster than 500 right??? does that go by milli second or something??? basic question but i never really messed with the attack time.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, most of these things are answered in the manual and you really need to spend some time in it.

The L1 is basically a "brick wall" limiter, which means it will NOT go above what you set the output at. The threshold is where it will begin its compression. Pulling that slider down will make the level apppear louder, pull it down tooo far and it will distort.

It is a compressor and you need to learn what all of the knobs do. I won't go into detail about them, because there are too many books, threads, etc, on what they mean.

Between the C1 and Rcomp, they are both excellent but the Renaissance is problem better. Mainly more user freindly and forgiving.

Tim20 gives a good answer but if you need to know how a compressor works and how to work a compressor, then read this cool article:

http://gonzoft.tripod.com/articles/a4/a4.htm

it's a good place to start. Basically a compressor is like LSD: you start messing around with it and it doesn't seem to be working but next thing you know it's all sounding weird and everything's fvcked up :)

MM

Last edited:
Damn...thats alot of questions you're asking (no offense). Maybe start smaller and/or do your homework a little and you'll get better responses.
Dont have much experience with wave's, but I do know that the preset's on the L2 worked quite well for what I wanted as far as quickly mastering some of my music when I got the chance to mess with the plugs....assuming you have the manual, dig into it-

Thanks i dont have the manual anymore or i would be off in that.
Thanks for that link im somewhat familar with a compressor i just wasnt sure why pullin down the threshold made it louder.
Its alot of questions i know but people usually pick a choose which questions they want to answer anyways so take your pick. Me coming in here reading posts and asking questions would be considered homework to me. Ive never used a maximizer before in my life before i go maxizmizing all my tracks i wanted to get some insight from other people. and get some dos and do nots from people who know and have experience with the L1.

the manual is in the plugin just click the question mark.

I like the rcomp better because its easier to use. and peoples directions seem to relate better to that when describing compression techniques then the c1.

plus I like the way the renaissance comp presets r.

renaissance plugs r VERY good.

wow...you got Waves, a serious bundle of pro level software, without even knowing what they do? And not have the manual anymore to boot? Who spends $500 bucks on something they don't know how to work much less operate and ask others to guide them through it? Hell, it took me 6 months of asking on studio-central to make sure I was investing well needed money into my purchase of the Waves Platinum bundle and I even knew the difference between them!

I smell piracy of the phunkiest freshest variety:)

i dont know why it keeps double posting i only submitted once

miclumayag said:
wow...you got Waves, a serious bundle of pro level software, without even knowing what they do? And not have the manual anymore to boot? Who spends $500 bucks on something they don't know how to work much less operate and ask others to guide them through it? Hell, it took me 6 months of asking on studio-central to make sure I was investing well needed money into my purchase of the Waves Platinum bundle and I even knew the difference between them!

What a complete waste of time to post something so lame. I hope your a child cuz thats pretty silly. I know what these things do i was asking which compressor is better and tryin to get some guidelines on the L1 which ive never used. and you act like spending 500 bucks is spending a weeks pay or something its really not that bad of a deal for waves. I posted this question in another forum and they all acted like little girls about it too turns out they were a bunch of broke losers who didnt even know how to use it anyways becuase they will never be able to afford it. im sorry it took you 6 months to learn these things that sounds like a personal problem to me.

I found the manual i just had to click on the question mark like killjoy said. Im still gonna check those tutorials on the waves site though. Thanks yall
sorry for so many questions.

miclumayag said:

your looking to incite a riot...

good tutorials on that waves site thanks

i am looking to incite a riot? why? because I am saying the truth? because I happen to know I get my stuff by working for it? if nothing is wrong and there ain't nothing to hide ---- why get defensive huh? I don't have anything to hide so I pointed that possibility out. Everyone who know their stuff can tell you manuals are easily downloadable at the manufacturer site, so, why must their be so much hooplah to my sensible point? from where the post was going, every effort was made to avoid addressing the possibility of visiting the Waves site for the necessary manuals, you know darn well its there - whats the big fit about?

as for your post about buying it for 500 bucks - that amount of money doesnt come easily for some. i happen to be fortunate enough to be able to get the stuff that i need without too much difficulty but that doesn't mean money isn't an issue - i still have to check out things from a user perspective like every other sensible buyer. a child, you say? man, please...by your response, you're not too far off from your own accusations. take it like an adult and argue like one...ya dig?

Of course, ive been jammin screw 4 about 4 years now.

My boy M.P. has a hot new mixtape out screwed and chopped that im on.

Get at me if you would like to here some of it.

Its also got a cat out of Dallas named C Whisky, he be goin fed too.

Back