Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy nice headphones

Thanks

Want to buy nice headphones

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey everyone. This is my first post here BTW, I've been reading here for a bit. I've only been making beats for like 4 months but they're alright.

My music is mainly being hampered by one thing right now, which is that everything stops at like 9PM because I live with my parents (unless I want to use ****ty ass headphones, where I can't hear any bass and the music I make sounds completely different when I wake up the next day and play it on normal speakers). I know studio monitors are the way to go as far as mixing and all that, and I'll definitely cop some sometime, but for now I just want to be able to make beats all night using headphones, so I want some good ones.

I was looking at the AKG K271 headphones, are those any good?

I'm also a little confused about whether I need an amp for them or not? My price range is in the range of $100-$200, if something is waaaaaaaay better for like $230 or something (including the amp if I need one) I'd be down though. Does it matter what kind of amp I get if I need one? If so could I get some recommendations on that too?

Thanks.

Thanks
    i got a pair of ATH-M40fs's, i love em...some people would disagree. They seem to go on sale a lot at musiciansfriend.com

depending on what kind of hardware you are using, you might not need an amp.
    -Morph
    Apple iMac g5, Motu 828, FocusRite Platinum VoiceMaster, Oktava Mk-319, Behringer HA4700, E-Mu Mo'Phatt, MPC 1000, Cubase SX 3.

Thanks
    i have a couple sets of sony mdr-v600's. they were only 99$ a piece, and they are crystal clear sound reproduction, durable as hell, i love the coiled cord that stretches out to like 15 feet, and they are light, tight, and comfortable.

they are marketed as studio monitors, so they do not color the sound any, which is great for production. i got them from circuit city of all places.

Thanks

Thanks
    Alright my setup is the headphones coming straight out of my computer's sound card. I assume I will need an amp to run headphones such as the Sony MDR series or some AKGs? Is that correct?

And everything posted has been in the under $100 range, are those going to provide good bass sound down really low?

Thanks
    my sony mdr's... i have them hooked in my mixer, but they sound fine, and can get quite loud just plugged into the sound card. they are actually louder than most headphones i own plugged into anything really, even portable cd players and such

as for frequency response... i forget the high end, but i know they have a low end of 15 hz, and you can hear just as much bass in them as you would with a subwoofer. that is pretty rare in under-100$ headphones.

Thanks
    I have the Sony MDR-7506 studio monitor cans.

I have the MV-500 for booth use.

Welcome to FP!
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    do you have an aftermarket sound card? If not, the headphones aren't gonna sound any better than what they're plugged into
    -Morph
    Apple iMac g5, Motu 828, FocusRite Platinum VoiceMaster, Oktava Mk-319, Behringer HA4700, E-Mu Mo'Phatt, MPC 1000, Cubase SX 3.

Thanks
    I had some Pioneer monitor 8's which had good bass response. They are ideal for recording applications to keep the sound from leaking onto the microphone. With that said, they also keep you from hearing anything else while music is playing. Because they fit so tight on your ears, they may be unconfortable for some people. Lower frequencies are pretty defined which is not something you find often with headphones. Mids I liked and highs were okay.

I also had some Behringer HPS3000's which are more comfortable compared to monitor 8's and sound pretty good overall. They don't shine in any particular are but they're good for the money.

I'm not making any recommendations. Just putting the information out there. Purchasing headphones is hit or miss.

Thanks
    Originally posted by sleepy
    Purchasing headphones is hit or miss.
    not really.

Thread Information