VST Samplers

S

spikedsynapse

Anyone know any good samplers that would work well with logic?
I need something that is timed so i can sample breakbeats.

HALion is excellent, and reads AKAI CD-ROMs etc.. If you have a good ASIO support on your soundcard and a lto of memory, it will behave just like a "real" sampler.

if you want to do mainly percussions, i recommend BATTERY by Native Instruments. it ROCKS! its basically a virtual MPC2000XL with a ton of memory.

Voila! Good luck

Software Samplers

ManoOne said:
HALion is excellent, and reads AKAI CD-ROMs etc.. If you have a good ASIO support on your soundcard and a lto of memory, it will behave just like a "real" sampler.

Hey ManoOne, I new to the soft samplers:( Would HALion be good for mapping phrases samples(i.e "1 & 2,Oh Yeahs!!,and/or any phrase from an old vinyl or cd you like) across a keyboard scale and trigger them via a midi controller? And if so does a HALion have a sequencer or would need to route it to some other software sequencer program?:)

Hello,
Can halion be used to map background parts.. For example. I have some vocals singing a melody line.. can I play that melody line with harmony.. (Kinda like the Roland Variphrase):hello:

thats a lot of questions guys! :)

ok

Would HALion be good for mapping phrases samples(i.e "1 & 2,Oh Yeahs!!,and/or any phrase from an old vinyl or cd you like) across a keyboard scale and trigger them via a midi controller?

Probably but it's illegal to use recordings without getting a clearance licence from the owner of the piece.

And if so does a HALion have a sequencer or would need to route it to some other software sequencer program?

It is a VST device... The best is to have CUBASE host it as a VST instrument. HALion doesnt have a sequencer... Its just like any studio sampler (akai, emu, yam etc..)

I have some vocals singing a melody line.. can I play that melody line with harmony.. (Kinda like the Roland Variphrase)

No. What youa re describing is some kind of realtime pitch shifting right? I dont think HALion has anything like this. BUT you do have the same pitch control over the keyboard as any sampler.

I have Halion and it ain't to spectacular... Unfortunately it doesn't do the time-stretching thing you're after:mad:

mmhhh

well I dont know what you call spectacular, but if you aren't happy with HALion then you would not be happy with an EMU E4XT Platinum (one of the most expensive sampler out there).

Time stretching? Well you can do this in Sound Forge or any other sound editor and simply drag and drop in a HALion patch right?

Keep in mind: i DONT use HALion, because I have a pulsar II sound card so I use the DSP based sampler from it, BUT I do know HALion is a great solution.

For use with Logic I would reccomend the ESX-24 - although on the pricey side this is got to be the bad *** of virtual samplers on the market and is completely geared up for use with LA.....superb.

Back