Vocal Booth - (Plexy Glass)

Verbalvendetta

I am planning on building a vocal booth for better sounding vocals. 3 sides and the roof are going to be made out of PlyWood and Studio foam (foam by mail or auralex foam).

One side (the door) I want to be made out of plexiglass so it won't be a closet.. How will this effect my vocals, and if the effect is band how should I position the mic so that it cuts down on the effect as much as possible.

^ do you not read?

anyways the plexi glass is a reflective surface so of course your voice is going to reflect back off of it and cause reverberations aswell as comb filter effects and yadadadada.

avoid having plexiglass if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
noVa ProductionZ said:
^ do you not read?

actually, im pretty sure he does read, and what hes saying is right. a layer of plywood covered with auralex by itself wont actually cut down on outside sound or improve recording acoustics very much at all, and it WOULD be a waste of money. you need to get some more layers in there, a space between them etc for it to be a cost effective booth, considering the quality of recordings.

plexiglass would be a bad idea, dont do it. if you really want a way to see through mkae a small plexiglass window. that way you hgave less of the extremely hard reflective surface to effect your recordings.

noVa ProductionZ said:
^ do you not read?

anyways the plexi glass is a reflective surface so of course your voice is going to reflect back off of it and cause reverberations aswell as comb filter effects and yadadadada.

avoid having plexiglass if you can.
Are you on your period today?? He's going to have bigger issues besides the plexi glass with that type of construction. Damn, chill out!! It is quite obvious that he doesn't now that much about vocal booth's, that's why I said that.

alrite ok i miss read, i thought he meant JUST plywood not including the auralex.

its not true saying it wont cut down on outside sound at all it will, it wont be very good but would help with some of the background noise and help getting a cleaner recording than if you just recorded in a live room.

btw if you really want a "dead sounding room" try hanging dead bodies on the wall ;-), human bodies absorb sound more efficiently than any auralex foam :P

More importantly, human bodies stacked across a corner will absorb *low end* which is something that foam isn't going to do. But it might smell funny.

Back