Vocal Booth/Closet

Yo wut up..I got a closet that is empty and i hav started to put foam in it...now i already know before yall tell me that my booth isnt gonna be all that and I'm not one of them people who think i can get pro sound from my little setup...I know what is needed.(Pro Equip and Enviroment setup for that like a real recording studio!)..but before i put the rest of the foam up I need a couple of things cleared.I do mostly rap/hip hop now..First i've heard not to put to much foam because it deadens it or makes the room dead?...2nd i know yall don't have my dimensions but what general places should the foam be? I have a slanted ceiling too...just in that closet tho...3rd I been hearing that its better to record in the room or control if your not doing it professional...well I already have the faom up and i like the idea of the booth...and im not expecting some professional results ...but I do wanna hook it up to the fullest ya know cuz im going to have people come in and record ..so I want mixtape and album results..I was told that foam behind the mic was good..that ceilin might be a problem tho..hmm... Thx

Ok, I know you want to use the closet, but it's a bad idea. i know you want to get good results, but foam ain't going to get you there. I know you don't want to take the foam down, but throw it away and get some bass traps in your main room and it will be way better than putting foam in a small closet.

bass traps enhance the bass in your room. When you don't have them, your tracks might sound good when you are mixing them, but when you play them in other places, they sound like they have too much bass. This happends when your room is more dead in the low range and you turn the lows up so it sounds good in your room. Get some owens corning 703. It works great.

www.realtraps.com are arguably the best you'll find.

There might be some confusion above though... What they're doing is reducing the reflections in the low end. If the room has a lot of buildup (almost every room does) it will smooth it out to some extent. If the room has a lot of cancellation (again, most do to some extent) it'll even them out so those cancellations aren't so deep.

All four corners, floor-to-ceiling and all top corners preferred in any case... You can't have too many bass traps (I have 23 in this room and a few more to be installed at some point soon).

If you use the search function, you'll find that I'm anything but a fan of "closet" vocal booths...

your not gonna want a closet booth. noting that you can work with anything. but your gonna want a bigger area then a closet.. because the best place to record is as close to the center of the room as you can get. but yes go to musiciansfriend.com and see what kind of sound absorbing meterial you can get. dont trip tho cuz my first spot was my empty dirt basement with nothing but a dell pc and computer mic.. that was years ago.. then i got to hustlin made me some bank and stepped my game up. do it up playa.

Dillin Quent said:
Inexpensive garbage. Have you ever seen the tests on that crap?

(EDIT) Ha! Just looked at the site - *2* lb density? You're better off using used kleenex.

Seriously - ("soundproofing" foam? "Earth to the foam guys..." Sorry - I digress) - Anyway, where was I...

You space is the most important part of the whole thing. All sound treatments are non equal - Sonex and Auralex are NOT the same thing. Auralex and FBM aren't either. Just like foam and bass traps aren't the same thing. This isn't like picking out wallpaper - It's not for looks. Cheaper is usually NOT better.

There's "acceptable" and "not acceptable." If you see the test results on stuff like that (odd that they don't feel the need to publish them - Almost as if they didn't want you to see them for some reason), you'd probably stay away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back