vocal booth

• Thread starter elmirasjewels@yahoo.
  • Start date
E

elmirasjewels@yahoo.

i have a corner in my room its about 7 to 8 ft. high and 5 by 5 get it is that enough to bulid a vocal booth and what do i need

i 5 by 5 and 8 ft. high enough to build a vocal booth

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking, no. That's nowhere large enough for a vocal booth. Especially if it's square in shape.

I'm sure others will disagree and tell you to "put lots of foam up" (which never works, but I digress) and "it'll be fine" - Which it won't.

But as far as physics and facts are concerned, you'd have to do quite a bit of construction to it to be mildly acceptable.

I'd start with the search function though - It's been covered about a dozen times just recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should make the booth out of 2x4 frames, with double walls. You should make a outter wall first. When framing the walls, use a level and make sure the walls ARE NOT LEVEL. It is best to set the top and bottom plates about 2 inches apart from each other. Cut the end of each beam to the angle of the wall. To nail together the walls, the best thing to do is drill holes where the nails will be. Next, fill the holes with rubber caulking and let dry. After they are dry, nail the walls in those holes. Fill the wall with r-19 insulation and on the outside of the wall, put up a layer of sheetrock, then put 1/4 inch furring strips on the sheetrock, then another layer of sheetrock over the furring strips so there is a space in between the 2 layers. On the inside of that wall put up only one layer of sheetrock. Then build another 2x4 wall next to that one inside the booth. Frame it on the floor and put up sheetrock on one side of the wall so you can stand the wall up and the sheetrock will be in the middle of the 2 walls. when you place that wall, leave some space inbetween the 2 walls. After the 2nd wall is in place, fill the wall with rockwool and cover the bays with cloth to hold the rockwool in place, then cover with one layer of sheetrock. That will pretty much stop most of the sound from getting in or out. Next, i would cover the walls with pine board. For the floor, I would float a floor above the existing floor. to do this, you will need to get something to absorb impact. I would use a/c baffles. You can buy these at any hvac supply. They are wedges that you put under a a/c unit to stop vibration in a attic or on a roof. Put these on the existing floor. Build a platform, out of 2x4's and plywood, which will be your floor. On top of the plywood, cover with a thin layer of rubber sheets. Next, cover that with oak floor boards and then place the platform on top of the baffles. Try to get the floor to sit even on the baffles but a little on a angle. I find that the best kind of ceiling is a drop ceiling with rock wool. Hang your drop ceiling frame. Insert some of the tiles but leave some open so you can fill with rock wool.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back