USB MIDI interface / patchbay

Bongo Fiend

This is part 2 of my "I want to replace my SB Audigy with quality rackmount gear" mission!

I am looking for a rackmount MIDI interface:
* 6+ ins, 6+ outs
* must double as a patchbay when my PC is turned off
* reliable (stable on XP)
* good performance (very low latency, minimal jitter)
* USB would be ideal (as long as the performance is spot on). N.B. I have USB 2.0 if that makes any difference.
* as cheap as possible!

This is to use in conjunction with Cubase SX, alongside an audio interface like the MOTU 828Mk2 (see my other post).

Now do we really need these fancy new interfaces with fancy MIDI timestamping? Or should a standard USB MIDI interface do the job nicely?

Presumably owing to shared IRQs, I never managed to get fully satisfactory MIDI timing on my Audigy card, despite disabling ACPI, shuffling cards around etc. :(

Any cheap & cheerful recommendations?

Not looking for anything fancy. Just as long as the timing is rock-solid and it can be used as a patchbay.

The Midisport 8x8 works wonders. It would do everything you need, but I think it may be what your calling a fancy new interface. It timestamps and runs a bit under $300.

I have just found out that the Midisport interface does not support sending a midi clock to 'All' ports, only to individual ports, so you may want to go a different route. Mine will likely go back.

Back