tuning nearfield monitors

W

WASP

what's the best way to tune a monitor?
one's that have a eq adjustment.

dont. tune your room.

which means, in small words.
from rearanging your furniture to putting up some foam, but it does not mean just cover the walls with foam and your done, there is alot more to it , from what type of foam to how big is your room, finding the bass traps in your room, understanding where you need reflections in your room to where you dont need them, theres a fair bit of stuff to worry about, and to do it all correctly it will cost a bit.

just remember this , you most likly allready know this, if you add bass to your speakers via an eq, then that bass you can hear on your speakers wont be there when you dump the mix to cd and play it on other speakers, and same goes for any frequancy there is. but if you learn your speakers and can get an average decible peak for the frequanceys that peek then you will know how to compensate for this.
which could mean this, to get a good mix out of your room they might have to sound a bit .... thru your speakers, as in if your bass on the speakers is to db lower at the 100hz mark then you would have to push the 100hz mark up a bit, which might make the mix sound muddy on our speakers but take it to all the other systems and it sits perfect.

another to keep im mind with speakers is that if you have 2 way which most moniters are or 3 way there is a crossover point 1 cross over point on 2 way and 2 cross overs on 3 way.
now at these cross over points ( the specs should be in your moniters manual ) you will get a 2 to 4 db cut each speaker is different and will cross over at a different part and some will cut 1 db and some might cut 4 db.
i know my speakers x over at 3k and drop out about 3 db.
so with my speakers if i got an eq and pushed up 3k on the eq my speaker should then be closer to flat, so if i boost 6 db at the 3 k zone then i have really only boosted 3 db. this really is a minor problem that moniters have but it is good to know and might come in handy.

Last edited:
houseofthesun said:
dont. tune your room.
Excellent advice! Record a test tone through your monitors at your exact mix position with a good mic, then plot the frequency chart and look for standing waves ("dips" in the chart), treat your room accordingly with bass traps and wall panels and learn to get to know your room acoustic.

It could look like this (test tone at the bottom; actual room acoustic at the top)

test_tone_comparison_small.jpg

SORRY TO OFFEND YOU, THAT WAS NOT MY MOTIVE, I AM PROUD
OF MY HERITAGE, AND MY ANCESTRY- I WILL NOT BOW DOWN AND DENY IT OR BE ASHAMED OF WHAT IS IN MY BLOOD. WHAT ONCE WAS IS NO MORE BUT THE BUT THE ESSENCE REMAINS.TO DENY ONE'S HERITAGE IS TO DENY ONE'S SELF.DID YOU'R PEOPLE DIE IN THE STRUGGLE?

No need to start a war, and you have every right to be proud of your heritage, of course. It just sounded a bit too Nazi for me, but maybe I'm too paraoid having seen so many in my life (ironically, not in Germany, though).

Peace& good luck with your studio!

Back