TRS/TS - Stereo/mono??

n8bt

When it comes to cables and connections, I'm a bit of a novice - I had a couple of questions regarding the balanced vs. unbalanced cables, stereo vs. mono ins.

For the PC - Mixer - Monitor connection, I am running a 1/8 stereo plug from the sound card out that splits into two 1/4" female connectors (i'm assuming these will then be mono connections?). I then plan to run two mono 1/4" cables from these female connections to one of the stereo channel ins on my Mackie. (either 7/8, 8/9, 10/11, etc.) Does this seem ok?

I plan to route the signal from the Mackie to my monitors through the control room outs. Is it better to run tip-ring-sleeve (balanced) or tip-sleeve (unbalanced) from the mixer to monitors? The control room outs and the monitors support both balanced or unbalanced connections. I do know that balanced cables generally offer more reduction of noise that is introduced into the line?

I just want to make sure I get the best possible signal from my PC, to the monitors. Are there any patching wizards here who can break it all down for me, or just tell me iif I'm on the right track here?

Thanks!

When it comes to cables and connections, I'm a bit of a novice - I had a couple of questions regarding the balanced vs. unbalanced cables, stereo vs. mono ins.

For the PC - Mixer - Monitor connection, I am running a 1/8 stereo plug from the sound card out that splits into two 1/4" female connectors (i'm assuming these will then be mono connections?). I then plan to run two mono 1/4" cables from these female connections to one of the stereo channel ins on my Mackie. (either 7/8, 8/9, 10/11, etc.) Does this seem ok?

Yes, I think so according to my understanding

I plan to route the signal from the Mackie to my monitors through the control room outs. Is it better to run tip-ring-sleeve (balanced) or tip-sleeve (unbalanced) from the mixer to monitors? The control room outs and the monitors support both balanced or unbalanced connections. I do know that balanced cables generally offer more reduction of noise that is introduced into the line?

If you could run XLR I would do this - nothing to loose except maybe some higher cable cost.
Make sure you maintain the correct channel configuration

I just want to make sure I get the best possible signal from my PC, to the monitors. Are there any patching wizards here who can break it all down for me, or just tell me iif I'm on the right track here?

Back