Trance Studio Ideas

solutionsagent

Hi,

I'm looking for some input from you guys. Basically I make a lot of music, most of it being primarily trance (i guess that's how they classify it).

I have a few extra dollars to spend and want some help/opinions on what is the next best thing to get.

Basically my current setup is simply a Korg Trinity/Roland-MC-909

My friend just bought a Roland Fantom X6 and I was thinking of the Fantom X8.

Do you have a better suggestion? I was also considering.. JP-8080; XR Rack; or a Motif Rack.

Then should I use a Computer to record instead of hardware? If I choose a CPU (DAW) does that eliminate the need for an 'effects rack'?

Thanks for your help guys...

-L

What kind of trance exactly ?

Progressive ? (Sasha/Digweed/...)
Anthem ? (Ferry Corsten aka System F aka Gouryella etc.../Push/...)
Hardtrance ?
Goa ?
Cheesy/commercial ?

What is the style of Paul Oakenfold classified as? Very melodic trance... Progressive maybe... It sounds like Paul Oakenfold or Robert Miles. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Last edited:
an idea to save some cash with hardware synths, is to get the rack version and use a midi keybord controller to trigger them, usally and in most cases to pay for the keyboard its alot more and in most cases the big difference is one has a keyboard and the other is a rack, then get a midi patch to save unplugging and plugging your midi keyboard in and out all the time.
novation ( dam forget what its called supernova or something ) triton rack like you said motif have the rack acceccs have a few rack models dave smith ( evolver i think its called cant remember ), but allways make shure the rack version has got the features you want.

"Then should I use a Computer to record instead of hardware? If I choose a CPU (DAW) does that eliminate the need for an 'effects rack'?

no..... but it will if you dont have the ins and outs to plug in some outboards.

Grab a VA synth or a multitimbral real one. Then you'll need a good mixer and an FX unit or two.

Thanks.. I'll look into the midi patch, sounds like a great idea, didn't know they exist.

Also I should get a mixer? Any brands suggested? I'm not sure what you mean by mixer, isn't that the same thing as a hardware recorder? A mixer simply adjusts audio levels right? So wouldn't a Roland VS-2000 be considered a mixer?

-L

Well if all you have are those two things I would suggest picking up a good sound card, board or a pair of monitors. If you're using your computer speakers to monitor please for the love of all things waveformish get something different, it will make the world of difference :)

If you could go into a bit more detail on *everything* you have I could give you a better idea on where to spend your money.

-maz

Sure, I'll go into detail... its not much though.

I have a PC I can use. P4 2.8 1GB SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 w/ Creative 5.1 Speaker set (Doesn't sound bad, but I would be willing to upgrade to 250$ monitors if need be). (Let me know what I need to add to turn it into a DAW)

Korg Trinity
Roland MC-909
Yamaha (used only as a midi controller)
Roland KC-500 Mixing Keyboard Amplifier
Ovation Acoustic Electric
Fostex MR-8 (Hopefully My CPU can replace this)
Oktava Condenser Microphone

And I was thinking of getting some Auralex DTS36 Foam?

Please let me know where I should spend my money... THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Frist thing you will need to do is take out the SB and put in something pro-oriented, like an Echo, M-Audio, E-mu....

Then you will need good monitors - you can pick up decent ones for $300.

As for synths, I would take a serious look at the Nordleads (used or new) and/or softsynths.

Back