Thread: Trance Studio Ideas

Thanks

Trance Studio Ideas

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I'm looking for some input from you guys. Basically I make a lot of music, most of it being primarily trance (i guess that's how they classify it).

I have a few extra dollars to spend and want some help/opinions on what is the next best thing to get.

Basically my current setup is simply a Korg Trinity/Roland-MC-909

My friend just bought a Roland Fantom X6 and I was thinking of the Fantom X8.

Do you have a better suggestion? I was also considering.. JP-8080; XR Rack; or a Motif Rack.

Then should I use a Computer to record instead of hardware? If I choose a CPU (DAW) does that eliminate the need for an 'effects rack'?

Thanks for your help guys...

-L

Thanks
    What kind of trance exactly ?

Progressive ? (Sasha/Digweed/...)
    Anthem ? (Ferry Corsten aka System F aka Gouryella etc.../Push/...)
    Hardtrance ?
    Goa ?
    Cheesy/commercial ?
    I feel MOOG'ed today...
    http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Thanks
    What is the style of Paul Oakenfold classified as? Very melodic trance... Progressive maybe... It sounds like Paul Oakenfold or Robert Miles. Hope that helps.

Thanks.
    Last edited by solutionsagent; 06-18-2004 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    an idea to save some cash with hardware synths, is to get the rack version and use a midi keybord controller to trigger them, usally and in most cases to pay for the keyboard its alot more and in most cases the big difference is one has a keyboard and the other is a rack, then get a midi patch to save unplugging and plugging your midi keyboard in and out all the time.
    novation ( dam forget what its called supernova or something ) triton rack like you said motif have the rack acceccs have a few rack models dave smith ( evolver i think its called cant remember ), but allways make shure the rack version has got the features you want.

"Then should I use a Computer to record instead of hardware? If I choose a CPU (DAW) does that eliminate the need for an 'effects rack'?

no..... but it will if you dont have the ins and outs to plug in some outboards.

Thanks
    Grab a VA synth or a multitimbral real one. Then you'll need a good mixer and an FX unit or two.
    [b][url=http://home.netspeed.com.au/aistorm/]Sync˛ and Roland TR606 Mods[/url][/b]

[url=http://www.mp3.com.au/RythmEmulator/]Grab My tracks here[/url]

Thanks
    Thanks.. I'll look into the midi patch, sounds like a great idea, didn't know they exist.

Also I should get a mixer? Any brands suggested? I'm not sure what you mean by mixer, isn't that the same thing as a hardware recorder? A mixer simply adjusts audio levels right? So wouldn't a Roland VS-2000 be considered a mixer?

-L

Thanks
    Well if all you have are those two things I would suggest picking up a good sound card, board or a pair of monitors. If you're using your computer speakers to monitor please for the love of all things waveformish get something different, it will make the world of difference

If you could go into a bit more detail on *everything* you have I could give you a better idea on where to spend your money.

-maz

Thanks
    Sure, I'll go into detail... its not much though.

I have a PC I can use. P4 2.8 1GB SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 w/ Creative 5.1 Speaker set (Doesn't sound bad, but I would be willing to upgrade to 250$ monitors if need be). (Let me know what I need to add to turn it into a DAW)

Korg Trinity
    Roland MC-909
    Yamaha (used only as a midi controller)
    Roland KC-500 Mixing Keyboard Amplifier
    Ovation Acoustic Electric
    Fostex MR-8 (Hopefully My CPU can replace this)
    Oktava Condenser Microphone

And I was thinking of getting some Auralex DTS36 Foam?

Please let me know where I should spend my money... THANK YOU!
    Last edited by solutionsagent; 06-18-2004 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks
    Frist thing you will need to do is take out the SB and put in something pro-oriented, like an Echo, M-Audio, E-mu....

Then you will need good monitors - you can pick up decent ones for $300.

As for synths, I would take a serious look at the Nordleads (used or new) and/or softsynths.
    It's all in the hips.

Thread Information