For those who don't wanna mess up their walls with panels...

kang

Ayup peeps!

Right, firstly a little background as to why i've decided to create this thread. I remember a while back reading threads about acoustic treatment and people not being allowed to put up panels coz the adhesive would mess up the walls etc. I'm currently in this situation. My parents, my brother and sister have forbidden me from puttin up panels because we've just got the whole house renovated.

I'm gonna have my own sound proofed studio built downstairs but i'm waiting on some quotes from builders but that's a whole other story. In the meantime i am being forced to set up my lab in a spare room.

So how did i get around the problem? Some good ol' fashioned DIY! lol

Here are some pics and you can see for yourself. All of the work took me about an hour to do and i've still gotta add a few more things.

I used some left over boards from the renovation and leaned them up against the back wall and glued my panels onto them. The blue cloth over the top was put there so i wouldn't leave marks on the wall while positioning the huge boards. I had to trim about 2 inches off the top otherwise the boards would be to big and would definitely knacker the coving!

As for my bass traps, well i just made up some simple supports and rested the trap on them. Pretty simple! 3 pieces of wood and 6 nails, a little sawing, job done!

We are still renovating the house as you can no doubt tell! The skirting boards and carpet haven't gone in yet! Trying to keep my gear dust free is a mission! None of the rooms have doors as they are currently being made.

Oh well.

Enjoy the pics and if you have any questions, ask away :cheers:

Kang.

Last edited:
I don't see any bass traps...

And as long as you're using 4x8 sheets, it would be incredibly better to flex them and use them as polycylindric diffusors (rather then foam, which really doesn't do anything positive anyway except for absorbing the extreme upper midrange).

The bass traps are behind my monitors...

My main aim is to absorb the midrange coz i'm gettin a lot of reflection in that range. The room is more or less ok in many other aspects. This is just a temp fix until i move downstairs into my proper lab, hopefully in november.

The main aim of this was to show people you can treat your room if you aren't allowed to because your walls will get messed up.

Thick enough for ya?

You guys have totally missed the point of this thread. Might as well be closed.

no, i didnt mess the point of this thread all, those first pics look shotty

and the bass trap in those first three pic looks like 1inch pad on plywood

question. would have not been easier just to staple them on the wall

Yeah you missed the point.

Stapling would have left marks on the wall, paint would have flaked off etc when the panels were taken down therefore patching up the paint would have to be carried out.

Yeah it would have been easier to staple but not so much in the long term when the panels have to come down.

Also there are some people on here that can't fix stiff 2 their walls whether it's done using staples, blutac or fairy dust!

My method was a way to SHOW people you can treat your room without messing up your walls so it should matter how think my treatment is or what kind i've used. I was trying to show people methods of putting the stuff up.

Last edited:
kang said:
Yeah you missed the point.

Stapling would have left marks on the wall, paint would have flaked off etc when the panels were taken down therefore patching up the paint would have to be carried out.

Yeah it would have been easier to staple but not so much in the long term when the panels have to come down.

Also there are some people on here that can't fix stiff 2 their walls whether it's done using staples, blutac or fairy dust!

My method was a way to SHOW people you can treat your room without messing up your walls so it should matter how think my treatment is or what kind i've used. I was trying to show people methods of putting the stuff up.
lol no im telling you i get it, put the foam on boards and move them around:rolleyes: its almost no different from making a sound barrier . .

lol dude you must be using some uber sized stables to to live noticable holes in the wall . .

Last edited:
unfortunately, proper bass traps are _always_ going to have to be destructively installed. the things you've got there don't do anything about bass, and i guaruntee you've got problems with it in that room just looking at it.

lol@uber sized staples... Well they aren't massive staples but they do enough damage especially if you're puttin panels up in various places.

As for the bass trap not being destructively installed... Yeah i know about that but for the time being it works. I've got it right up against the wall and i might even set up a piece of wood pushing it up into the wall tomorrow morning if i can be bothered coz i still need to finish treating my other walls.

Its all good. I wish i took pics of the walls in my old house... Oh my days the amount of crap i left still attached to the walls. Webs of adhesive and foam. Little pits in the walls from the staples! Who ever moved into my old room will have one hell of a cleanup operation on their hands. I felt bad when we moved out coz i tried 2 scrape off the adhesive and foam but it wouldn't come off :s I guess i should have used a hairdryer... fcuk it! lol

Guys its a temporary room, why would he spend a lot of money on acoustic treatment when its not permanent? when he comes to take it down he doesn't want damage to the walls or damage to the treatment, its common sense. It might not be idea but its better nothing nothing.

Bass traps hardly need any support as long as they have a skeleton or rear-support frame. The ones I have here are simply stacked and small safety lines (from little more than picture hangars) keep them from moving.

I still don't see any bass traps... Those corner foam-things don't go down nearly far enough to be considered a bass trap (although many places tend to market them that way for some reason).

Although I have to admit to having 16 linear feet of Auralex LENRD's in this room -

They're up against the rear corners - Right behind the bass traps.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back