Tannoy System 800A Monitors...

kang

Hi there guys i was wondering what your thoughts were on these monitors?

My fave pro audio store is having a HUGE sale this summer and they are doing a pair of these monitors for £399!!!

Before i get dragged into the store based on price i was wondering if you guys had any experience with these and if these aren't good then perhaps make some recommendations in the £400-£500 range.

I currently have a pair of Behringer Truth B2031A monitors and i'm looking to upgrade, something better with more power :D lol

I would like active monitors but i'm open to passive recommendations as well.

Cheers.

Kang.

Cheers mate... i'll get in touch with the store and ask em 2 set a few of them up for me.

Anyone else got an recommendations or feedback on the Tannoy monitors?

I haven't heard the Tannoys myself, but for what it's worth, over the years I've read a lot of positive reviews/experiences of them.

A *pair* of *active* 800's for 400?!? :bigeyes:

But them out.

the big old tannoy monsters ("monitor" series i think) are really nice, they have an amazing stereo image and punsh. i listened to them 2-3 years ago at my local high-end dealer and i was blown away. mhhh but i don't know how the cheap speakers sounds.

all i can say is that tannoy has a very strong reputation in the rock scene.

That's why I didn't put the dollar sign on - $650 USD would be a steal for boxes of that caliber.

Thanks for the replies guys... I'm guetting the impression i should go ahead and buy them?

I'm gonna pop into the pro audio store this week and test the other speakers. They phoned me today saying they should have them all ready and set up for me tomorrow... so fingers crossed :D

indeed. I just hope i dont like more than one brand... then choosing is gonna be hard :s

UPDATE - Right guys, i just got back from the pro audio store and i'm in a bit of a pickle!

After hearing a few of the monitors listed i managed to put my finger on two monitors. These two are £900 for the pair. The Tannoy monitors are no longer in stock :( They sold out within the first few days of the sale :(

The two monitors i like are as follows...

Mackie HR824 - I love how these sound, the low end is very crisp and the high's & mid's are sweet. I played some commercial tracks on them as well as some of my own tracks & the sound is amazing! My mixes translate very well on these monitors.

Tannoy Elipse 8 - Again, i love how well these sound, the low end is nice, likewise with the high & mid. They definitely bang hard, i couldn't test em at high volume because there were a lot of other customers in the store. My mixes sound good on these as well.

I really love how both monitors sound, the mackie's seem to have a special something. As soon i hit "play" i was sucked in from the get go! Maybe its coz iv'e heard good things about these & i'm keeping that at the back of my mind when i listen to them.

Has anyone here heard the Tannoy Elipse 8's? I was wondering what you guys think of them?

I'm truly stuck :( I'm gonna pop back into the store 2mo to hear em again and then hopefully make my choice. £900 isn't pocket change for me so i gotta make the right choice.

Any help would be much appreicated. I'm gonna do some digging online to find some user reviews.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thought they might sell out real quick!!

Haven't heard the Elipse8's , but over and over I've heard the Mackie 824's are perfect for electronic/hiphop production in particular. This is largely across several forums, so take what you will from it. I guess in the end, it comes down to what you're hearing... as humans tend to hear everything slightly differently in any case ;)

Good luck - I'd imagine at this level of monitor, you're going to be stoked with which ever you end up going for! Mmmmm, sweet sweet clarity...

I finally found a review of the Ellipse 8's - http://www.proaudioreview.com/march04/tannoy_ellipse_8.shtml

I think what i'm gonna do is pop back into the store today to listen to them both again. I wish the store had a seperate listening room. My local store back home (i'm at uni at the mo) has a dedicated listening room but the store near uni doesn't :(

A lot of the things said in the review i agreed with especially the stereo imaging. Its unbelievable as to how crazy the imaging is, you forget that your sat in between TWO monitors lol

UPDATE - I went back to the store y'day to listen again and make a purchase and i came home empty handed :(

The monitors i chose were the Tannoy Ellipse 8's. Why? I loved how they sounded, they sounded nice n flat & the stereo imaging blew me away so that did it for me.

The reason i walked out of the store empty handed wasn't because the boxes were 2 heavy. It was because i also wanted to buy the Mackie Big Knob so i could switch between the Tannoy's and my Behringers and i could also utilise the talkback feature that is built into the Big Knob once my studio is built. It turns out that they dont have the Big Knob in stock :( No other store in the huge chain of stores has stock, any stock they do have are in use because they are controlling their display monitirs with the Big Knob. Stupid fools!

I figured theres no point in buying new monitors without the Big Knob coz switching between the two would take ma bloody age! The worst thing is he rang mackie and they said that big knob wont be shipping till mid sept :(

What does the guy behind the counter say to me?? "The Tannoy's are at a discounted sale price at the mo, £900 for the pair. If you come back next month when the Big Knob may or may not be in stock the sale is likely to be over and u'll have to pay £1000 per monitor" :O Cheeky wanker innit!

So what i think i'm gonna do is go back on monday, order the Big Knob and pay for the Tannoy's and have the Tannoy's sitting in their boxes at home :(

I dont wanna set up the new monitors because i'm just gonna have to pack em up again when i move to the new house and set up shop in my (proper) studio, its not worth the hassle :(

Y'day was a bad day for me man :(

Last edited:
So what i think i'm gonna do is go back on monday, order the Big Knob and pay for the Tannoy's and have the Tannoy's sitting in their boxes at home :(

KMR have a used big knob in at the moment: http://www.kmraudio.com/loved.php

By the way, you didn't happen to listen to the Ellipse 10s as well did you? I'm interested in hearing a set soon and wondering how the 10s compare.

cheers.

Thanks for the link bitmonkey. Much appreciated.

Unfortnately i didnt listen to the Ellipse 10's. I wanted to but they didnt have a demo pair set up. I was told that the sound is amazing, a lot mroe low end compared to the 8's... but thats undertandable considering the 8's have an 8inch bass driver and the 10's have a 10inch.

If you pop into your local pro aucio store they might have a demo pair you can check out.

I hope that helps mate. I also found some good reviews online for the ellipse 10's. Just do a search in google. I would post links but i'm not at my pc, i'm on my sisters laptop at the mo.

Anyways i hope your hunt for the 10's go well.

Take it easy mate.

Kang.

Back