Studio Setup Please Help.

Xabiton

Cupcake God
I really would like to know where can I find out some information about studio equipment. Like Monitors, Mics, Pre Amps, Audio Interfaces, Soundcards, ect. Not so much where I can find them but where I can learn like what the differences are and what they mean because when I go to a music store like guitar center and read the boxes alot of the time I am puzzled as to what alot of these terms on the package means. Id like to become more well informed so I can help myself and stop asking questions like this on messageboard because I know the information is on the internet somewhere. Thanks for your help.

click on the resources tab up top for the music dictionary. Helped me out alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribe to Electronic Musician and Keyboard for a year ... read every issue cover-to-cover. At first you'll feel like an idiot 'cuz you won't understand a damned thing. But, after a while it starts to gel.

Or, last but not least. If all of that still doesn't cut it, you can always do a search on FP. Or even ask, after you do a search.

I agree with dansgold: read every issue of Future Music, Electronic musician, EQ magazine and MIX magazin. They have tons of gear review, and talk about studio setups and production techniques all the time. Stay away from magazines like Recording Magazine, or Computer Music. Total crap magazines.

Also, visit music production forums regurlarly, read the threads and talk to people.

yeah, I regularly read Sound on Sound for about 2 years. However, I just stopped reading it coz its not much more than gear reviews. In fact, when my g/f saw a copy of SOS laying on my desk last week, she said:

"What's that, a mail order catalog??"

That really opened my eyes, and she's right. Nothing but boring gear reviews (but one of the best reviews you can get). Also, the price in the US is rather steep (around US$15), so I recently subscribed to MIX magazine, EQ magazine and the REMIX magazine. These mags have a nice mixture of gear reviews and great stories about how famous albums have been cut, and tons of interviews with the producers and artists.

hmm i wonder if i can get mix magizine and eq magizine at barns and nobles. Ill have to go check it out. Anyone seen them up there?

yup, Barnes & Nobles has them both! Make sure you check out the "electronics section", though, coz that's where they keep them (not in the music section, strangely enough).

Sound On Sound is quite heavy - and informative - in the review department, but there are also a bunch of other regular, often technical, articles which I have found to be a great read.

Giganova, oh yes, the placement of music-related material in bookstores is a classic :) ... For instance, they usually have a whole section for computer programs, filled with literature dealing with programming languages and what could be summed up as computer-aided content creation: web, image processing and graphic design (both 2D and 3D) and so forth. Still, the material that deals with computers and music (and perhaps everything else music tech related) might be in an entirely different location, for example one time between physics and veterinary medicine (true story) :D

The magazines might be scattered into areas like music (logical, but still between the "fan mag" type of magazines), computers, electronics, even engineering or video. Funny. Or not.

Back