Studio Set up

PC
Mixer
Mic
Mic Stand
Pop Filter
Soundcard
Multitrack Program like (Pro-Tools, Cubase, Adobe Audition)
All the RIGHT cords

Keep in mind you want a GOOD mic maybe something like a Audio Technica, Shure, MXL something clean with a good roll off thats in your price range, more than likely it will need phantom power so get a GOOD pre amp. Maybe something like the Presonus tubepre if your on a budget. Most importantly a CLEAN enviroment. Meaing rather you build a booth or just make sure you are recording in an enviroment clean of any sound polution. Meaning no background noise ie: A/C, fans, vibrations basically anything that emits a sound or wave that the mic could pick up. After that its all eq and mixing to get it the way you want it. Keep in mind this is for mild vocals if you plan on recording full on vocal tracks you are going to want to step this up a few notches just be a little more specific on what your intentions are and we can guide you a little better

Condencer mics are better for vocals. If you have the money definately invest into a neumann u87, greatest mic ever. If you don't have the money there are nice large diagram condencer mics like samson but you have to get a really good preamp. You should also have a good place to place the vocalist, the vocal booth is also needed so you don't have leakage and outside noise into your mix. When setting up your vocal booth you don't want to dead the sound too much.
There are articals online where you can make your own vocal booth out of your closet if you are broke and handy with your hands or you can buy a pre-made vocal booth if you have the buget and very lazy like me.

So get a:
*Condencer Mic(neumenn u87, samson c0102, etc)
*Preamp(Avalon ad2022, PreSonus BlueTube Dual Path, etc)
*Shockmount
*pop filter
*Vocal booth
*Really good head phones (Sony MDR-7506 hands down) or nothing that leaks into the mic
*Headphone mixer if you want to have more than headphone
*Compressor/limiter
*and some effects (reverb, delay, etc)
*a good singer (some gin if you have a singer that can't take directions)
*And of couse knowlege of how to get a good mix (read some books)
*and a good ear
Considering you have a some kind of studio set up already

Credible

Regarless of what I do, I don't ever lose credibility. It's a typo, so what, I type fast and don't look back sue me, But you know what I"m saying and the info is Credible.

If you are so into the English Language go become a English teacher.

Last edited:
therockitscientist said:
Regarless of what I do, I don't ever lose credibility. It's a typo, so what, I type fast and don't look back sue me, But you know what I"m saying and the info is Credible.

He was referring to the idea, not the spelling.

Dynamics can work just as well for vocals; depends on the mic, preamp, and the vocalist.

And closets are about the worst place to record anything. Better to treat a large room. If that means your control room, do it, and quiet down or move any loud equipment.

Last edited:
audiotecnicality said:
He was referring to the idea, not the spelling.

Dynamics can work just as well for vocals; depends on the mic, preamp, and the vocalist.

And closets are about the worst place to record anything. Better to treat a large room. If that means your control room, do it, and quiet down or move any loud equipment.
Grazie, senior. I was referring to the idea. It comes up from time to time (mostly here for some reason). To think that a condenser mic is automatically better for vocals... Soft female "smoky jazz" vocals, probably. Aggressive, male, rock, rap, etc., give me a dynamic 99 times out of 104. RE-20's, 27's, PL20's, SM7's, any one of a half-dozen ribbon mics, but very, very rarely a condenser. That's a catalog or some guy behind the counter at Guitar Center talking.

I couldn't begin to count how many times I've stuck an EV RE-20 or a SM7 in front of a vocalist and left the U87's & U47's in the locker. For "gang" vocals, distant harmonies and such, sure - out comes the U47 or a Solaris, or a pair of 414's. But when it needs to be "in your face" and up front, none of them hold a candle to the RE-20.

Now, that's of course just my opinion. I've recorded several hundred (at least) vocalists. Maybe you've recorded several thousand and find condensers to be better for the sound you're shooting for. But to make a blanket statement that a condenser would be better - *Especially* with this genre of music - is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have a shure SM57

63813.jpg

and a shure SM7

SM7.jpg

both are excelent dynamic mics. The shure SM57 is a good all round mic, the SM7 is more broadcast/voice over/dark voices mic, but can be usefull in a lot of other application also.

Last edited:
Yea I Wanna Find Where To Get All Tha Equipment I Need For Cheap Prices Like I Mean Everythign Fo Ma Home Studio That I Wanna Put Together To Create Ma Own Demo And Send It In

Thanks! couldn't seem to find it on zzsounds so I figured I'd ask...

therockitscientist said:
Condencer mics are better for vocals.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
That's where you started to lose credibility...

That's a catalog or some guy behind the counter at Guitar Center talking.

...to make a blanket statement that a condenser would be better - *Especially* with this genre of music - is a bit ridiculous.

therockitscientist said:

Therockscientist: I think, like your answers, you may have rushed through the learning phase of music...

Last edited:
Back