At Studio Gurus :: What we workn with:?

msb

At Studio Gurus :: What we workn with:?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got our studio built, booth and all...We have been researching different products and got some help from different producers. We are only interested in clean rap vocal recordings right now:

What we have picked up so far:

-HP PC 512 MB Ram / 2.6 ghz
-Monitor Speakers
-Blue Baby Bottle Mic
-Blue Shockmount
-Blueberry Cable
-Ceiling mount for the mic

BUT OUR NEXT STEP IS:
?? Our pro tools DILEMMA is between:

002r, and MBox,......We went GCenter and they told us the major difference between the two was that Mbox can only record 2 tracks at a time and it has usb ports vs firewire. They went on to say that if we were just recording vocals, the MBox would be sufficient for us and save us a ton of deneiro ????
THOSE OF YOU THAT KNOW, PLEASE SHED A LITTLE LIGHT?

i dont know too much about them but i know im getting the 002r soon. The 002r comes with built in mic pre's also. Im pretty sure theres a huge difference in sound quality too. the $700 difference is there for a reason...

Moonshinerz....

Going with the MBOX over the 002r you'll be giving up alot of inputs/outputs for starters. I'm not sure about the pre-amps in the 002r, but I'm pretty sure the Mbox has cheaper focusrites built in. You'd also give up Midi i/o... which I suspect is a non issue becuase you guys will have your producers track out beats for you in Pro Tools ahead of time right?

If you don't plan on expanding your setup anytime soon, and will only record vocals... the Mbox might not be a bad idea. If you change your mind selling it off shouldn't be difficult.

With the money you saved getting the Mbox you could some extra plug-ins and also buy a better pre or channel strip to run your Blue Baby Bottle through. Some examples are:

Summit Audio 2BA-211 - $475
FMR RNP - $475
Focusrite Voicemaster Pro - $639
Grace Design Model 101 - $559

All of these will sound better than the pre's you're getting with the Mbox without breaking the bank. My advice would be to go to the G.C. in SJ and holla at Nata. Have him hook up a few different pre's for you to test with your Baby Bottle. That way you guys will get the one that sounds the best with your voices.

Good luck folks,

G3

sup G3

SUP WITH YOU MAN, where you been~
THANKS FOR THE INFO...
WE JUST MIGHT DO THAT MY HOMIE...

good ****.
msb

Which specific monitors do you have?

First thing you need to do is get more ram. At leastr 1gb... 512mb wont do.

And def. get the 002. The mbox is one step above a consumer card. Its only benefit is it comes with pro tools le (if your into protools)

MSB - I've been busy producing and recording folks. I've got 4 projects going (3 Hip Hop, and 1 R&B) right now and that leaves me with maybe one day off every two weeks if I'm lucky. No complaints though... the loot is good, and it sure has made upgrading the lab alot easier. :)

Good to see you guys getting you lab together. What's next for MSB?

SUP, BUSY BUSY IS A GOOD THING COMRADE.

We got upcoming shows with:
D12 AND UNCLE KRACKER IN HUMBOLDT,
TECH N9NE IN MERCED.

WE are dropping Nation Wide thru City Hall/JLM:

IN STORES MAY 18TH
Wild West Compilation:
FEAT.
Moonshinerz
Ice T
E-40
B Legit
T Nutty
Lynch
Messy Marv
and tons more

IN STORES JUNE/JULY
Dirty South Ballin Comp:
feat.
David Banner
Chingo Bling
Bukshot
Paul Wall
Baby Beesh
and tons more

Definetly get 002r over the mbox,you will have way more inputs.

msb said:
Our pro tools DILEMMA is between:
002r, and MBox,......
I wouldn't get either. The ProTools LE ('light') version that ships with these units has a severse track limitation which will inevitably create problems at some point. Either get a real ProTools setup or something like Logic/Cubase, etc. Just my 2Cents.

BTW: nice choice on the mic! What preamp(s) will you get? (the single most important piece of gear in a studio IMHO).

I had it, and agree that the LE Pro Tools isn't worth getting. It didn't exceed or even "measure up" to what I was already doing in Sonar. I'd also go with the full blown HD if I were the one breaking bread. In fact I plan (hope ) to do so within the next 6 months or so. But, for these guys it might work. Only because most of the producers in our local area (at least those they work with) have jumped into LE and aren't working with HD. From what I understand they only want to get a good vocal signal into PT, and then ship it off to be processed/mixed by a good engineer (with a better facility).

What up? These replies are VERY common. I've researched the Mbox, and heard the same things over and over. Let me give you my advice from actual experience from the MBox I got two weeks ago (I just sold it though).

The lag factor sucks. You read about people have problems with it for a reason. USB isn't strong enough yet to maintain a healthy recording environment. Maybe to mix a track on your laptop when your out of town.. but not home recording. The MBox is very entry level. The latency is horrible.

Pro tools is fun to mess with though, but recording with the MBox isn't.

Pro Tools LE is limited to 24 tracks on the MBox and 32 tracks with the Digi002 (I think). You get almost an unlimited amount with the TDM. But, 24 tracks should be enough. If anything, you can bounce to disk 5 tracks or so, put them into one, freeing up 4 tracks.

If your gonna get a mic like the blue bottle (that retails for what.. 800 at least?), definitely go with something other than the Mbox.

futuredood said:
What up? These replies are VERY common. I've researched the Mbox, and heard the same things over and over.
No offense... but of course these comments would seem common (to you). You've done the research already. MSB hasn't, and that is the point of this thread... to hear other's opinions (common or otherwise). These guys posting up in here are just trying to share some insight they believe might help MSB. Insight that you may have already gained from your research.
Let me give you my advice from actual experience from the MBox I got two weeks ago (I just sold it though).
Your actual experience is most likely in line with the info they were looking for in the first place. But that shouldn't discount the value of the other "opinions" offered.

Again, no offense intended in any way - shape - or form.

Peace,

G3

G3 the Groovemaka said:

No offense... but of course these comments would seem common (to you). You've done the research already. MSB hasn't, and that is the point of this thread... to hear other's opinions (common or otherwise). These guys posting up in here are just trying to share some insight they believe might help MSB. Insight that you may have already gained from your research.

Your actual experience is most likely in line with the info they were looking for in the first place. But that shouldn't discount the value of the other "opinions" offered.

Again, no offense intended in any way - shape - or form.

Peace,

G3

Cool, I'm not saying my input is gonna be comletely true.. everyone has their opinion on a product. I wasn't trying to offend anybody, no beef. Peace.

Hey YO, defenitely get a Avalon 747 the sound on them are crazy crisp

Back