studio gear temporarily setup in cold room - is it ok?

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
Hey guys

I temporarily setup my studio gear in the garage. Although I am going to build an actual room there in 2 months, and it is getting a bit cold, about 60 degrees.

It may go down to 45 or 50 sometimes before the room is built.

I have some gear that may need some care, like my MICROMOOG (almost 30 years old), and my EVENT 20/20 bas, etc and I want to make sure that I am not going to kill my gear leaving it there for 2 months.

Worth noting that the garage door is not sealed.

Again: I am planning to build a very nice room there in 2 months, this is temporary

Thanks

hmmmm dust may be a problem if the door is not sealed. as far as temperature i think heat and humidity are more of a danger than cold

i would try and make sure that if you are intending you use the gear, to let it warm up to room temperature before acutally powering on the unit, just a suggestion. :)

Dust the gear a little once in a while and as stated, make sure that there's not a lot of humidity.

A dehumidifier would help if you have them in storage for so long. You can also get covers for the equipment which will help with dust. Don't use anything fibrous though.

as stated , the humidity will be the thing to get you in the garage , then dust .

you may want to get a humidity tester/regulator . i would guess a zero humidity room would be bad too (dryrot monitors ?) .

Last edited:
The actual temperature isnt the killer its the daily variation that'll do it. So whats the hottest and coldest its going to get in there?

mungo said:
The actual temperature isnt the killer its the daily variation that'll do it. So whats the hottest and coldest its going to get in there?

yess..Condensation is ur worst enemy...

Thanks for the help.

It is in fact raining non stop right now outside, and the fact that the garage door isn't sealed is most likely leading to a very humid air in the garage itself.

My Micromoog is starting to act a little bit - hopefully a temporary problem - the main OSC sounds very thin if the Doubling knob is set to 0 (no doubling), and the Waveshape knob is not working anymore. :( (I LOVE my Micromoog)

Crossing fingers that it is a simple repair...

I will take all my gear (the Moog ASAP and the rest tonight) where it is insulated and dry again, until the actual studio is built (nice soundproof construction).

Take care :)

-mano

you might want to get some of that plastic sheeting that you use for painting and staple it to the inside of you garage.. cover the door and the walls with it.. a staple gun and some duct tape would enable you to seal the garage, how well it would work well...

also the sheeting would be a easy way to cover everything just in case the roof starts to leak(god forbid)

In some user manuals tell you the absolute minimum and maximum temp to keep the gear in.

As long as it doesnt go below/above the manufactures suggested temp, you should be OK.

As stated already in this thread, condensation is the enemy. But that may only form if the temp changes rapidly.

mano 1 said:
Hey guys

I temporarily setup my studio gear in the garage. Although I am going to build an actual room there in 2 months, and it is getting a bit cold, about 60 degrees.

It may go down to 45 or 50 sometimes before the room is built.

I have some gear that may need some care, like my MICROMOOG (almost 30 years old), and my EVENT 20/20 bas, etc and I want to make sure that I am not going to kill my gear leaving it there for 2 months.

Worth noting that the garage door is not sealed.

Again: I am planning to build a very nice room there in 2 months, this is temporary

Thanks

take word from me dog get the SH*T OUT OF THERE be4 the temp drop i have f**ked up one of my keyboards movein to my new house i build a studio in my basement well i was building its all done now but i left my gear in the half done cold ass basement and f**ked up buttons don't work
plus i had the mp7 and when i got it i saved it cause i turned it on the screen was f**ked up but i warmed it fast as hell i saved it but take from me cold and gear don't mix
glad i ain't have my mv8000 then think lord this asr x pro takes a f**kin beatin so does the triton lol

LOL :D

Yes I moved the MICROMOOG back "inside" (in the heated/insulated part of the house) and the rest is still there but I will move everything this week-end probably.

I hope the Moog will get to work again without an actual repair :(

Back