Studio or DJ?

R

Rayne

I'm looking for a new mixer:: the one I have is broken now :(

For the past 4 months I've been almost in love with teh Denon DNX-400.. it has everythgin I need, plus I really like the digital outs that it comes with... It is JUST what I was looking for to record mixes and sample.....

WELL::: now I'm thinking differently. .. Shoudl I get a more studio style mixer, or Dj style mixer....I'm looking to spend around $400.. maybe alittle bit more for a studio mixer that will last!... I'm hooking it up to my PC... ALSO I have dual CDJS, which are 19 rack mount:::

I would like to have a mixer that I coudl fit inside the rackmount box and connect my CDS with to mix with normally.. I bring my own gear to house parties all the time, and I woudl like to be able to keep it all connected. But I also do alot of work in Theatre Production, so I use my PC, and I'm planning on starting to record more.... so I would like a studio style mixer. (more than 4 channels)... I could probably find a Bendringer (Spellign!!??)...in that price range that would do well.. But there any that are rackmount??!

Alos does anyone have any other uggestions as to studio style mixers?... I've heard that sometime Bedringers quality is lacking.. but for the price it seems wonderful!.......I'm not really into the buisness of DJing, so a Dj style mixer wouldn't last long, but a studio mixer I coudl perform alot more with!.... Although I would like a crossfader... I have NEVER seen a studio mixer with a crossfader on it (side-side crossfading Dj style)......Is there a seperate unit I coud purchase for a resonable price for this???

for a while i was looking at Behringer's Pro Mixer DX1000. i think it's got every feature you are looking for (cross-fader, multple channels, rack mounts, etc)....unfortunately the SKB DJ Command Station case won't hold it, but that might not be a problem for you.

the behringer sucks ! dont even think about it! with ur requirements its better u get a dj mixer. a studio mixer wouldnt really cut.

what u could do is get two 4 channel mixers and daisy chain them. i dont think a studio mixer would be too easy to work with in a dj setup.

Thanks for the advice... Sorry I coulnd't post ealier, I had some technical problems.... but it's all fixed now :D

I don't like particulary like that Behringer.. and from what I've heard: thier not all that great:::; but I have foudn something that I think woudl be perfect :D

The Roland VM3100PRO V-Mixing Station

ROLVM3100PRO.jpg

This is a 20 channel Digital Mixer.. in 24bit (20bit 9 and above) and seems to be a great buy! ESPECIALLY for the price! $440 for this $1200 including shipping!! WOW..

Tricky::: I"m used to DJing without a crossfader.... Mine hasn't worked in 5months... and I would rather have the extra abilties that this roland would give me...

So it's a vote between::

Denon DNX-400..............$350______DJ
Roland VM3100PRoV.....$440______Studio

Does that Roland have the cueing capabilites you need? If you beatmatch, I'd strongly suggest figuring that out b4 you consider the roland.

If you want a relatively cheap, compact mixer, maybe the Vestax PMC 25 would work out for you: http://www.vestax.com/products/pmc250.htm

Rayne said:
Thanks for the advice... Sorry I coulnd't post ealier, I had some technical problems.... but it's all fixed now :D

I don't like particulary like that Behringer.. and from what I've heard: thier not all that great:::; but I have foudn something that I think woudl be perfect :D

The Roland VM3100PRO V-Mixing Station

ROLVM3100PRO.jpg

This is a 20 channel Digital Mixer.. in 24bit (20bit 9 and above) and seems to be a great buy! ESPECIALLY for the price! $440 for this $1200 including shipping!! WOW..

Tricky::: I"m used to DJing without a crossfader.... Mine hasn't worked in 5months... and I would rather have the extra abilties that this roland would give me...

So it's a vote between::

Denon DNX-400..............$350______DJ
Roland VM3100PRoV.....$440______Studio

True!

I actually hadn't considered how I would be cueing....

Maybe I could figure out a way to send a bus someplace to monitar...

or take a pre-fader level through headphones.... if I put a chanell on pre- and left the post down.. than there shouldn't be any sound comming through... althoguh how to rout it to hedphone, while leaving the other channel open could be a challenge...

I'll have a look at teh manual, I've found a PDF of it...

I actually thnkt hat this is such a great deal:: I'll probably get it naywya... not often you find a $1200 mixer for $450.....

I have a gemini Mixer now:: that technialy works.. (only the right chanell of the stereo signal goes through) ... So I have to change it to MOno wherever I go... I could prolly use that> I Dj but not SO mcuh that it would be worth scraping the Roland for a better DJ mixer.

Thanks for the input though... I'll have to check to see if I can cue somehow

OK>..

I've figure it out... This was taken from teh Manual::

You can use a separate volume control that allows you to
independently set the signal’s bus-send level. Use this during
recording when you’re controlling your track levels using the channel faders, and need to create a separate monitor-speaker or headphone mix for your performers. When mixing, it allows you to control the level of a signal being sent to an external effect
processor while your channel faders control its level in the mix.

So I shoudl be able to bus to AUX1... and use AUX1 as a headphone cue :D

dude, I've made alot of stupid purchases in my day, and the losses i'm taking reselling everything has taught me alot.

It's easier to use something for its intended purpose than to jury rig something to make it work for you.

examples:
my Vestax PMC06 - it was $150 so I bought it, but I dont scratch at all. That 150 couldve gone towards a mixer more suited for me.

my dual cd decks - some crappy american dj stuff that doesnt even instant start. useless for someone who wants to mix effectively

my first belt drive Gemini TT - absolutely useless - that $50 couldve gone towards a decent 1200

What I've learned is that I really like DJ'ing and want to stick with it. That means I want to use the best, most cost-effective equipment around.

If you save up some more money, you could get 2 mixers - one for studio work, and one for dj work. Making one do the work of the other, and vice versa is going to be a pain.

just my .02 - I dont want you to waste money, I've wasted enough for all of us :)

dude, you're forgetting something....EQ!!!

you have to fumble through menus to get to your EQ settings on that mixer, so good luck :)

seriously, if you get two mixers you'll be set. or you could get a PMC-25 as was suggested above.....i own it and it's so fun to use and it's rackmounted.

:cool:

I appreciate you all lookign out for me :)
I agree that it is easier to use somethign for it's intended purpouse. and I think I would probably get another DJ mixer when I had the chance. Possily with money from doing theatre work, I get paid sometimes.... :D and this roland mixer will help me in that.. ALOT more than a Dj mixer would. I do DJ, but it's only a hobby... I'm looking ot become an audio engineer as a career....so if I had to choose between the two: I think I'll go with the Roland, since I'll probably get more use out of it, than I DJ mixer..

A for EQ.. Right now I don't use anything to EQ...I've learned how to mix without it.... (A challenge after I was use to being able to cut out stuff) ... I do have an electrix EQ killer.. so I can hook that up to anything. I'm waiting for a new power source to come in the mail for it to wokr..(The old AC adapter fried)

It does work as a controller,it even has transport controls,u can alao use it in conj w/ logic as a control surface

Do u mean a vs- 880?the multitrack?You can use it to expand the inputs too,and make bouncing alot easier,also expand your eq's it has phantom power xlr too for mics.....and midi

Oh,,i've never seen one or heard of one before.....my bad,I thought it was a typo.....it's good it has the r-bus...because the vs880ex i had didn't.........good luck

SO the VM3100 V will work as a control surface for Logic!!!!

Or wher eyou talkign about teh VS-880X... I'm hoping that you're talking about the VM3100... that would definatly be awsome to be able to control logic through the hardware :D

Now:: I'd have to learn logic first.. :confused: .. I'm having some problems::: it really does have a steep learning curve!

That is very cool :).... I'll have to try and figure out how to link the two.. . I actually was really looking for a control surface.. but all the ones I saw advertisted as control surfaces.... where WAY behoynd my price range... :D... well I gotta go to work... 9-6 everyday :rolleyes: .... but at least I'm getting paid.. I can buy cool stuff like this . . :)

Back