Studio build - Sliding glass doors between iso booth & ctrl room. Good or bad idea?

kang

Studio build - Sliding glass doors between iso booth & ctrl room. Good or bad idea?

I'm currently getting prices for sliding glass doors (patio doors to the uk members) for use in my studio that i'm currently working on.

I was going to opt for a small window but with the limited space i'm working with a glass patio door seems more viable because it serves as a door and viewing window as well.

Has anyone used sliding glass doors in a studio? Or can anyone recommend some good companies that produce decent sound proofed doors.

From the research i've been doing i'm going to have to use 2 set of doors because on average a lot of glass sliding doors don't have very good sound proofing qualities.

If i had more room i would just simple opt for normal swing doors but i can't so some sort of sliding door will have to be used.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kang.

kang said:
From the research i've been doing i'm going to have to use 2 set of doors because on average a lot of glass sliding doors don't have very good sound proofing qualities.

Yeah lobbying is the way to go, so you have glass-air-glass. Sliding doors aren't ideal, but this might work. You need to make sure ALL seals are snug and tight. If they don't seal properly they will be useless for sound reduction. Could be tough... and it will probably still let quite a lot of low freq through

how serious a studio is it?

H&H do good acoustic doors
acoustic.co.uk/H&H/doors.htm

Go for as high an Rw (sound reduction) as you can.

good luck mate, let us know how it progresses.

Last edited:
Its not a major build, its a case of making something workable out of the room I've got.

We've had an extension done at the house and decided 2 change the use of my new studio so now I'm tryin 2 make the space work.

With the limited space sliding doors are my only option.

Thanls for posting the link, I had a look and those doors look great but I just haven't got the room for swing doors :(

I can prob deal with the low end, I'll turn my monitors down when vocals are being recorded in the booth.

Just a quick update...

I put the deposit down on 2 pairs of glass sliding doors! 1.8m in width x 2m in height.

These doors have additional sound proofing properties. I found a manufacturer in my home town that can do them at a cost that falls into my budget.

I'm one step closer to reaching my goal of having my own dedicated, sound proofed recording space! Woo hoo! lol

More updates to follow once the electricians have finished up.

I'm gonna start taking pics and creating a "Studio Build" thread. Good idea?

kang said:

Kang.

my university has 4 glass sliding doors. i assume for the reason u stated and they work just fine

The standard reply to the question, "how effective will this be" is usually, "it depends". It mostly depends on what your expectations are. if you're expecting 40-45dB of noise reduction then you won't be disappointed. Just be sure (like the other poster said) to be sure you get a snug fit.

People use dual sliding glass all the time in situations just like this...you'll be fine.

Frank

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well the doors i've ordered have roughly 60db reduction but i'm skeptical. I would say 45-50db is realistic but i've read the documentation that i got when i placed the order and it defo seems promising.

The fit will definitely be snug! They're made to measure to ensure the fit is really tight.

Back