Starting up in Australia

H

huey

hey guys

just found this site while searching for info about setups for composing. I'm from australia and love house music!! My older brother was a good house dj and i wanted to follow his footsteps, but realised how much better it is to try and make music rather than tweak other peoples releases.

so i've got a mate who told me the best way to start is get a groovebox, he is about to up grade to an mc505 roland and then he will sell me his mc303 for a good price.

is this a good move to start my house music making?
or should i try a different product like the mc307 or mc505? i have a good stereo hooked up to a pretty good puter. i also have two technic decks and an average mixer.

what about a sampler ? i've beening looking at the sp -202 and sp-303, are they good and which is better?

Basically what do i need to start making quality house music (funky beats, jazzy tones, vocals, good effects and kickin basslines) ???

:) :)

would really apperciate some feedback, thanks

huey

WELCOME to futureproducers.com!!

let me help you
roland is not the only manufacturer on earth ;)

I had a mc303 for years (got it the month it was out) and although now I gave it as a graduation present to a friend of mine (generous heh!), i know the box very well..

House music? I wouldnt go with any of the machines you mentionned... If you compose hous emusic you'll need to use samples... a good machine that has sampling could be a KORG ELECTRIBE S (not the R or the A.. the "S"!) aka KORG ES-1.

It is a nice machine, I think its around 400 dollars (cheap! for what it is) and you can upgrade to 64MB of memory (recommended).

from there, its just like a groovebox... but much better and you can sample stuff.

Good luck! If you have more money to invest, look into the new YAMAHA RS7000 it seems really nice.

For all the machines mentionned above, you dont need a computer, they are standalone and you can carry them in your backpack.

good luck again! and dont hesitate to post more questions here, that's what the site is about :)

... ah one more thing.. tell your friends to come over too :)

sincerely,

-mano

hey thanks for the help mano,

so this KORG ES-1 is the way to go is it?
can u tell me more about it compared to the mc303,

is that 400 australian or us?

anyother opinions from you guys would be greatly appericated

this is my Q

i want to make good qualtiy house music (all variations) on an average budget. with not much musical talent as such apart from being a house fanatic

if its easier i have icq and email

get this .......... HUGH@HOUSEMUSIC.com
how good!!
and
icq =85426933

:D

huey

hey there mano

whats the difference btw these korg synths?

EA1 - Electribe A Analog Modeling Synth
ER1 - Electribe R Rhythm Synth
ES1 - Electribe S Rhythm Production Sampler

if i choose the es1 what else do i need to produce decent house music??
can i hook it up to mu computer and stereo?
is it really good?
i like the idea of making my own patterns sounds and tones and samples not just using the ones on the machine, can i do that to a good extent or just averagely??

so many q's hope i'm not annoying you

would love lots of helpful answers from you and anyone else

:)

huey

cool, its good seeing some true blue aussie blokes round here!
where did you get your Techs?
and how much were they?
and sorry, i cant help you with your groove things

whats the difference btw these korg synths?

Well, the S would be your best choice of all the electribe in my opinion... The A is a bassline synth, and its limited by its own soundbank (and it can't sample). The R is a drum machine, a good one, BUT again you are limited to the drum kits included..

With the S you cna trigger any sample, drums or synths...

if i choose the es1 what else do i need to produce decent house music??

Quite frankly, if you get the ES-1 and expand its memory to 64MB, you will be fine.. later, you will probably want to get a synthesizer or a bigger sampler, but the ES1 is fun and complete enough to start getting into things.

Of course when you'll get really good at this stuff you can go for a more profesional studio setup, but for now really its a fun machine to have.

can i hook it up to mu computer and stereo?

Yes you can hook it to your computer and record your songs as WAV files, burn an audio CD or even control the ES1 from a MIDI sequencer if you feel like it.

is it really good?

I've heard great things about this machine. Go for it.

i like the idea of making my own patterns sounds and tones and samples not just using the ones on the machine, can i do that to a good extent or just averagely??

Because the machine is a sampler, you can really sample anything you want (if you make sounds on your computer you can get them and map them to build your own patches in the ES1, or even record a frying pan falling on the ground, a bottle smashed on the wall... i exagerate, but these are good examples).

so many q's hope i'm not annoying you

oh yes you're annoying :D LOL joking man you can ask away as many questions as you want, this is what FutureProducers.com is all about :)

by the way the ES-1 is 400 US dollars not australian dollars. You may pay 500 for it though (depends).

As I said earlier, if you have more money to spend, get the Yamaha RS7000 it is a nice machine. Its basically an ES1 on steroids.

hey mano thanks again

really helpful

another question arises tho ..... sozy

can you compare the mc303 to the korg sc-1

does the korg out rate the 303 in creating your own patterns?
does the fact that the korg has a sampler lead to the lack in goodness in its main features?
in this case is the 303 better?
are there any other models which are in the same price range
with great features and capabilities to create great house?

HUEY LOVES THE ROGER S!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm in melbourne

u?

what equipment do you have??

any recomendations for me???

house is my game :D

can you compare the mc303 to the korg sc-1

you mean the ES-1? NO.. dont compare those machines.. they have nothing in common. Go with the ES-1 is the only thing I'll say...

does the korg out rate the 303 in creating your own patterns?

I believe so. The ES1 lets you get your own custom sounds, the 303 has a limited bank of sounds. The pattern creation is pretty much similar. The ES1 is much more recent so I'd say it should be even more stable.

does the fact that the korg has a sampler lead to the lack in goodness in its main features?
in this case is the 303 better?

No. It is a good question, but apparently Korg is making a good job with the ES1.

are there any other models which are in the same price range

The only machines I think of that have similar features (including sampling) are the Yamaha SU200 and the nice SU700. Then there is the RS7000 but its another story (much better, the next level)

I hope this conversation is helping you.
Bring some of your friends over by the way :)

im in byron bay and no, as yet i have no equip, im gonna do a DJ course down in sydney in june and then i will decide what equip toget after that
im thinking of getting CDJ 100s though, cause i have a cd burner which would make it easy

MC-303

Ahoj

I had a MC-303 for about a year, in the beginning I thoght it was cool (yea.. a 303!! :D ) but then I noticed that the sound was not very great and that it is difficult to program patterns. And there is not so many possibilities with filters etc.

I now have a Clavia Nord Rack 2 and Logic Audio.. more expensive but there are almost unlimited possibilities.

drjam@hotmail.com

i knew some dude who had a 303 and it had about 2 good sounds.
the rest were pretty weak.
go the Korg "S" series they sound hot!
plus u can sample in drum hits offa your decks ;)

coming to conclusions finally

i think i might go for the korg es1 or the mc303, these sound like they could be a good starting point .

i can get a mc303 for about 500 australia off a mate
or the korg for 895 new even cheaper second hand.

any last recommendations between these two models. will the korg deliever my house needs? has it got better features compared with the 303? is it missing out on anything compared to the 303? and is it a better starting point compared with the 303? the su200 doesn't look as indepth as the korg is this true?

:confused:

i like the look of the yamaha rm1x and su700 and they might end up being the upgrade when i can gather cash and have had mastered the korg.

thanks again, heaps!!!

huey

hugh@housemusic.com

:D roger rocks!

hey huey...
forget the mc303 man :) seriously

and take it from me who LOVED it for years.. but now I KNOW what is out there available... nad i must admit the mc is NOT what you want..

+++++++++++++++++++++++

the SU200 is quite limited compared to a korg ES-1.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

the RM1X is good but its limited (no sampling etc..).
If you can get the SU700 go for it it's a nice machine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

If you have more than 1000 dollars go pre-order the RS7000 (yamaha). the rs7000 is above any other model mentionned in this thread. it has a TON of built in sounds AND you can sample too.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I feel like repeating myself oups :)

Back