Starting over ....Again

bulgarianprince

Dear Abby, I am now stuck with my HP pavilion that I wanted to send back to the manufacturer. It has a 3800 something dual core processor and a 250 gig hard drive. There is a gig of ram inside and I have been using a Creative labs sound blaster extigy sound card and an NVIDIA video card. I have been complaining that the machine is a piece of crap to HP and they say all they can do is return it to the factory techs and have them fix it.The problem is,I don't think the computer will do the job they said it would when I bought it. I can hardly multi task without the damn thing comming to a halt. So , I believe it will make no difference what they do to it if it just an inferior machine to begin with.. If I am wrong, just give me a heads up. I would love to hear the $1000 paperweight should do what I am expecting of it.
I have had numerous problems from not being able to run vst's to software not working properly and or not at all. I have a few more bits that I attempt to use to make music but I can not figure out weather the problem is the computer and set up or operator error. I have been givin the go ahead from the wife to get it in order to make music.
Here is the dilemma, I have been trying to put together a system for two years that will work as a daw...I am in hillbilly heaven now and there is not even anyone (Southwest Virginia if you were wondering) who understands what the hell i am talking about.I have to travel for three hours to get to a decent music store (Sam Ash and a Guitar Center) and have no sources other than the internet.
So, could someone please help me out here? I will shoot you my e-mail info so I don't bore everyone here with this subject; that I am sure has already been gone over a billion times here. If anyone needs more info on my stuff please let me know. I am just frustrated because I figure my comp should have more than enough power and resources to do the job. I am interested in everything from hardware to software set up and info...Thanks
Douglas_shroid@hotmail.com

Last edited:
What exactly is the PC doing? What programs are you running or what exactly do you want your computer to do? Have you tweaked the computer settings, so it can run more efficiently?

My computer is stopping and re-starting by it's self and when it trys to reboot it goes to an HP page that requires me to choose the boot option. Also , when I try to record streaming audio it will sputter making the audio unusable.I try to add a vst synth or effect and it will crash the computer or not open the vst.These are just a few of the problems, I have been having many. I do not know if I understand how to optimize my comp with out screwing the whole thing up. I have shut all of the start up options off but that's about it.I have to go to work right now, I can give you more details later when I get back. thanks for replying.

If your system is rebooting by itself, than you might have some heat issues with the proceessor or it could be that you have a hardware device that is conflicting with something. You would have to go through a process of elimination to know for sure. It would be a good idea to get atleast another hardrive for your music programs only and one for your samples. Check out this website, they give you alot of good tips for tweaking your PC. Unless you have a faulty PC, I don't see why it would be giving you so many problems.

http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

I just wanted to let you know that I went to the link and checked it out. Very cool site. I will have to wait till my comp comes back fro HP now so I can se it up. I'll let you knw how I make out, Thanks for the tip...

Is it a micro computer? Im kinda having the same problom except that it says Generichost win 32 needs to send error report. I dunno what it is. I reformated it and nuthin.

I got a dell... and it works perfect. Plus the dell screens are pretty nice too. Im running dual core processors, and 1 gig ram

Adlib311 said:
Is it a micro computer? Im kinda having the same problom except that it says Generichost win 32 needs to send error report. I dunno what it is. I reformated it and nuthin.
If you get the error code from the report, you can go on the Microsoft website and look it up to see what the problem is.

C-Lovely said:
If your system is rebooting by itself, than you might have some heat issues with the proceessor
Likely heat issues. See if you can get into your BIOS (while booting, tap Delete every couple seconds, or whatever key it tells you to enter Setup). Look around for an option in there to view your CPU and system temperatures. Be careful not to make unintentional changes, but to be safe, Exit Without Saving when you are done. The average ideal CPU temp is 40C. If it's any more than about 55C, I recommend you replace the cooler (actually, I recommend doing that regardless, but you get the point). You can also check and make sure all your fans are running unobstructed.

Last edited:
Back