Starting a new studio

3p Productions

I have started designing a new studio to futher maximize my producing capibilities. It includes
Axiom 25
Oxygen 8
ProjectMix I/O
MXL V63M Studio Condenser Microphone
I know that im missing some things, but i cant semm to figure out what?!?!?! Can you please help me?

you'll need some from of a recording technology (DAW, Hard Disk setup Etc.)

you'll also need some form of sounds, (Software Synths, Racks, Keyboards etc)

lastly, Monitors, Good ones.

nmohan said:
you'll need some from of a recording technology (DAW, Hard Disk setup Etc.)

you'll also need some form of sounds, (Software Synths, Racks, Keyboards etc)

I have 3 20" monitors... That good enough?!?!? i also have Reason 3.0 and Cubase

nmohan said:
*FIRSTLY* monitors - The best ones you can possibly afford.

You will only ever be as good as your monitoring chain allows you to be. And your monitoring chain will only ever sound as good as the room they're in allows them to sound.

Two of the only actual "rules" of recording.

wlouch said:
Do they sound nice? or...too far?
they are good (they are good to me at least) idk really they are the only ones i have (and they arent that big really they are actually quite small) Thats what they look like ( i think tha pic has a hyperlink 2 buy em if ya want)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you getting an Axiom 25 and an oxygen? Once you get the Axiom, you won't ever want to touch the oxygen. I have a 61 key Axiom, and I haven't really touched my oxygen unless I leave home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ear2thaground said:
Why are you getting an Axiom 25 and an oxygen? Once you get the Axiom, you won't ever want to touch the oxygen. I have a 61 key Axiom, and I haven't really touched my oxygen unless I leave home.
Thats exactily why.

3p Productions said:
they are good (they are good to me at least)

If you are investing into building a new studio, get new monitors. If these are what you have or planning to get (the link goes to Behringers?) - invest in different ones. These are no good.

?

Ray_Chappell said:
If you are investing into building a new studio, get new monitors. If these are what you have or planning to get (the link goes to Behringers?) - invest in different ones. These are no good.

Why what is wrong with the Truths?
I have them and they are fine (I mean yeah they lack in mid range) but other than that they seem to do the trick?
To get a true sound I find it better to mix with headphones anyway.
And that gose with all production from beats to mixing vocals.

Synthetik Vibe said:
I have them and they are fine (I mean yeah they lack in mid range) but other than that they seem to do the trick?

Mixing with headphones is probably one of the worst things you can do...

Synthetik Vibe said:

You kind of answered your own question - if they lack in mid range they aren't that good. The purpose of monitors is accuracy - so if they aren't accurate, they aren't good. But - important to say that it is the producer that makes a track good. If you find a way to work around inaccuracies, more power to you.

Mixing on headphones is not a great idea. You're isolating stereo sound to one ear exclusively, which is also not accurate. Headphones are good to be used as a reference, but I wouldn't encourage mixing on them for "a true sound."

A lot of cats have a different oppinion of what is the best monitors to add to their studio. flat frequency response and a truthful representation of the source material is the upmost importance when selecting monitors. Unlike consumer speakers, which are often designed to make all audio material sound pleasing to the ear, the studio monitor generally attempts to paint an accurate audio image of the material with no unnatural emphasis or de-emphasis of particular frequencies. This is what it means when a monitor is said to be "flat". and "uncolored" or "transparent". Sound engineers usually require accurate sound reproduction from their speakers especially during audio mixing and mastering. This enables the engineer to mix a track that will sound consistent on high-end audio, low quality radios, in a club, in a car stereo or a home stereo. Some engineers, however, prefer to work with monitors that are far from accurate because they reflect the type of systems that end-users will be listening through.

Ray_Chappell said:
You kind of answered your own question - if they lack in mid range they aren't that good. The purpose of monitors is accuracy - so if they aren't accurate, they aren't good. But - important to say that it is the producer that makes a track good. If you find a way to work around inaccuracies, more power to you.

Mixing on headphones is not a great idea. You're isolating stereo sound to one ear exclusively, which is also not accurate. Headphones are good to be used as a reference, but I wouldn't encourage mixing on them for "a true sound."

Cheers every one for the info on not mixing with headphones.
And now i may have to look in to getting some more Monitors LOL.

Thanks guys,

I this a really good site for people to get advice.

Synthetik Vibe said:
Cheers every one for the info on not mixing with headphones.
And now i may have to look in to getting some more Monitors LOL.

Thanks guys,

I this a really good site for people to get advice.

Wow, you take feedback pretty well. That's very cool, and good for learning.

Ray_Chappell said:
Wow, you take feedback pretty well. That's very cool, and good for learning.

Yo man,
I just feel that the only way to get ahead is to take all advice on board.

An open mind is the key fo me.:cheers:

Back