Starting a home studio

G

geedashem

I want to start a little home studio. (I am into the hip hop genre) I've messed around with Fruity Loops but it doesn't satisfy me. I am on a $3000-3500 budget and would like some good suggestions for equipment. As far as recording, I don't plan on working with artists (at least not yet) Also I want a computer as a part of my studio setup. So that might turn my budget into a measly $2000+. So if you have any suggestions that can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Does anyone know any good sound cards for the PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
PC- 1GHz, 512MB ram, 1 10gig hard drive, 120gig HD- $500-800

mixer, audio/MIDI interface- Roland studio Pack - $599

software- Logic - included in the Roland Studio pack

keyboard workstation w/ sampling - your choice - $2000

tunes that will make you and your friends dance all night long - priceless :)

hehe
there you go. That should be everything you need. and for a grand total of... $3100-3400 (USD)

I think that your best bet would be to do some research first... go to music stores, audio stores, etc... they will give you the spiel and let you test out the equipment, because they want to sell it... see what you like... and take what the music store people say seriously, they know what they are doing, but also with a grain of salt... they are trying to sell you stuff.

Software can usually be tried out as a demo from websites, and you can get a feel for what they can do by trying them out with the demo, but you can't save, so this often effects how you test the demo.

You could also get cracked versions of the software, but I only recommend this by saying a) these could carry viruses (I don't think crackz sites are the most reputable websites) and b) by promising yourself that you will buy this software in the future (being that you and I are both honest people :D ) There is some really really nice software out there, and being that I am sort of a programmer myself, I know the kind of work that goes in to creating software, and this software won't be available for use if people keep ripping it off... yada yada yada... attempted guilt trip... etc.

Talk to some musician friends... talk to people on this board, and any other forum... but I would have to disagree with the whole premise of the first reply... I don't think that you should buy that setup... it may be very very nice for you, but you need to find out for your self. Try stuff out... that's half the fun anyways...

you can get a desktop pc with way more then enough power from like fry's or something. get a "gamer's" pc for like $600.

get a akai mpk 49 or something along those lines. for round $250/200 (used)

get the reason + record duo from propellerheads for like $400.

get cockos reaper for $60! (this daw hangs with the best of em.....trust that.)

go cop a audio interface of your choice...(m audio fast track will suit ur needs just fine)......now what are we at?

thats like........almost everything you need
for give or take $1500.

now you got left over for sound treatment........maybe a pair of monitors and some nice head phones..........wit like a G too spare.

if you already have a computer I'd go with akai mpk 49 controller, and if you want to work in protools mbox2 isn't bad, but you can go with logic pro and get a nice interface that will give you much more inputs. Your main focus will want to be on monitors. I'd look at mackie mr series / krk rp series / yamaha hs series. if you find your budget is a bit higher you might want to go with krk vxt 4's

Back