Speaker size vs room size?

fts06

Hello,

This probably has been discussed a million times but still need to ask. People are saying "don't buy big speakers for small rooms" but I don't understand what's a small room. My room is 444x417cm. Ceiling is heavily sloped. Tallest side of the room is about 246cm. I didn't measure the shortest part but very short. Can't stand up straight in about %30 percent of the room. (I'm 193cm) Is this a small room?

I want to get a pair of Yamaha HS8's. Are those ok for this room? I don't even know if bigger speaker means louder but I don't want to be super loud like a 100w cranked marshall. How about Kali Audio LP6's.?

note: Room is not treated but I will do it when I get the speakers.

Size of the room in American(I think): 14'6 x 13'8 x 8(highest part)

Last edited:
If you are 6 feet tall and you can’t stand up, it’s a small room. NONETHELESS, the size of the speaker is misleading. What volume will you monitor at for listening and mixing? Sub or no? (I’d recommend No). Any speakers can be OK in a properly treated room, but you shouldn’t be blasting the volume; monitor at about 85 dB max most of the time. And some smaller/bookshelf/monitor speakers will just fit better (and/or reproduce better) on a table/desk/mixing console, while others will sound better on the floor. This brings your mix position into the equation, as well as whether or not you even have room for floor speakers in your space. Plus possible issues such as corner-loaded bass. So it’s more than just the size of the speakers, and more than the size of the room, but those factors and more and how they all interact.

Figure out *where* you’re going to put your speakers, other gear, and room treatment first.

Your monitor choices listed above should both be OK.

GJ

Last edited:
If you are 6 feet tall and you can’t stand up, it’s a small room. NONETHELESS, the size of the speaker is misleading. What volume will you monitor at for listening and mixing? Sub or no? (I’d recommend No). Any speakers can be OK in a properly treated room, but you shouldn’t be blasting the volume; monitor at about 85 dB max most of the time. And some smaller/bookshelf/monitor speakers will just fit better (and/or reproduce better) on a table/desk/mixing console, while others will sound better on the floor. This brings your mix position into the equation, as well as whether or not you even have room for floor speakers in your space. Plus possible issues such as corner-loaded bass. So it’s more than just the size of the speakers, and more than the size of the room, but those factors and more and how they all interact.

Figure out *where* you’re going to put your speakers, other gear, and room treatment first.

Your monitor choices listed above should both be OK.

GJ

Thank you for the answer. I can stand up easily in most of the room. But ceiling is angled, some parts are pretty low. I should add the numbers in feet too.

I assumed with bigger speakers (HS8) you HAVE TO monitor louder than smaller(LP6) ones. If that's not the case, maybe it's not that important.

No, of course not. They will play as loudly or softly as you set the attenuator. ;)

GJ

Last edited:
Back