Soundproofing a computer

N

Nc-17

Is this possible? and if so how would i go about doing so with out over heating the unit?

Closets work pretty well -

There are isloation chambers made specifically for that purpose though. Rather pricey and rather complex to absorb the sound properly while maintaining a reasonable operating temperature...

Sound On Sound did a really good feature about making your PC's run quiter. There were a couple of 'Isolation' techniques they suggested. Hit up their site and do a search.

www.soundonsound.com

SP

Methods I've seen used have usually centred around custom soundproofed wooden cabinets, lined with soundproofing foam. These usually featured external venting via sealed ducting, which is hooked up to an extraction fan in another room, or even connected to a plywood panel which had replaced a window.

(Heat buildup obviously being a pretty major concern with modern computers running high wattage PSUs, CPUs and other peripherals).

Another example I saw talked about on another studio forum was one where the producer had the PC running in the room next door, and had cut a small hole in the wall for all his cabling! Many people may find that their landlord/significant other/parents etc might have something to say about that however! :rolleyes:

If running a sealed unit with external venting, I'd recommend running CPU/system temperature monitoring software, to keep track of any potential heat buildup before it reached dangerous levels.

You need the PAQ case.

Read up on it on Sos.

Auralex sheets will not solve the problem and will contain heat.
A good quiet system must have good airflow dissipation, otherwise heat will be your enemy.

our Mac is in a completely different room :/
all u need is long monitor wire and a long wired usb hub.

Last edited:
It's fairly easy to locate the PC in another room and simply run cabling for Keyboard, Video & Mouse to the control room. There are products which will bundle all 3 lines into a single "KVM over Cat5" for longer, cleaner runs.

The issue of your audio interface will actually be the larger part of the problem. There are all kinds of different ways to address taht as well.

Back