Soundproofing an apartment

Speaking from experience, trust me, its impossible for neighbors to not hear you. Bass travels regardless, and the average apartment complex has very thin walls.

Its just the fact that its an apartment, its just like you can hear neighbors above you walking around. Your best bet is to turn your bass down. I went through the same **** and I almost got evicted.

chrisb said:
how can i do this with the pepole below wont hear me.
Decoupling the speakers from the room would be a start, but you might need to decouple the room from the structure (via building another room inside the existing room).

so wat ur sayin is dat i need 2 build another room inside my room. if so start me out with info and wat supplies i need

Do you honestly think anyone has time for that...?

You need to get an acoustician and a contractor together to map it all out and then have it put up.

If it's a fairly small room, I've seen it done for the high 4-figures, not including design.

But did I see the word "apartment" in there earlier?

Generally, you're looking at building a complete room, "floating" inside the existing room. Decouplers, floating floors, staggered studs, double doors, new HVAC (needs to be isolated from the rest of the building's HVAC) - It's not something that you toss up over the weekend with a trip to the local Home Depot...

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSIVE Mastering said:

You need to get an acoustician and a contractor together to map it all out and then have it put up.

If it's a fairly small room, I've seen it done for the high 4-figures, not including design.

Generally, you're looking at building a complete room, "floating" inside the existing room. Decouplers, floating floors, staggered studs, double doors, new HVAC (needs to be isolated from the rest of the building's HVAC) - It's not something that you toss up over the weekend with a trip to the local Home Depot...

echo echo

MASSIVE Mastering said:

^^^By the time you do all that and pay out the cash needed, you might as well go rent a house. Especially being that the neighbors may complain about the noise of the construction as well. lol. How intense is your Bass? How are your monitors/speakers placed? Sometimes just placing speakers in another area of the room or moving a sub from the floor to a table can have a huge impact.

Thats a b*tch. I did get evicted for that. Even when I had my bass down so low I could barely hear it my landlord (who lived below me) would call me and tell me it was too loud. At like 6 pm!!! Still pisses me off to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
until you save up for a house, the cheapest alternative is HEADPHONES. Not the best thing to do but its the best way to keep your wallet fat and neighbors apeased.

Well I live in a house, and My problem is in reverse Instead of Keepin noise in I wanna soundproof to keep unwanted noise out of my recording set up...

Back