soundproofing

C

cali.d

OK.

I am moving into a house and want to (need to) soundproof the garage. the room has cement walls, wooden roof, wooden door to outside, wooden garage door which leaves about a one inch gap between itself and the wall when closed, and one single paned window. It is a standard 2 car garage, i think about 8m x 5m.

Obviously, the garage door is the worst part, followed by the window and the roof. I'm hoping I can do something about it though with some combination of sheetrock (Crystal Method's idea), some thick hair underfelt, some acoustic tiles, and some regular insulation/eggcrates. Suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!!

-d:monkey:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use palms. I have never made thoose things about my studioroom accustics. i just prefer a nice decorated room, where i can uncrap myself. thats enough for me.

well i live in a house with toilets and a neighborhood where I cant crank my ****.

anyone have a helpful reply?

-d

what u need is 5/8 inch of gypsum board.

U need to make that door a soild core door. That way ur transimission loss will improve, Let me get back to u about the windows and stuff,
remember gypsum board is the key !

If you can manage it, consider the tried and tested "room within a room" concept.

That is, make from wood, a room smaller than the garage. Insulate and soundproof the area between the rooms.

Alternatively, consider using some thick carpets - maybe contact a local carpet store.
Converting a garage is something I'm considering doing too.

Look closely at your security

pink insulation

i worked at a construction company and we had to soundproof meeting rooms. If you got some time and cash and are handy then i suggest this. You steel frame a smaller room, about a foot outside the original, and then fill the gap with pink insulation making sure not to crunch it up to fit it in (my mistake which makes it loose all its soundproofing power). then drywall the inside of the frames and you got yourself a sweet looking studio.

Back