soundproof

zinnh

Hi ....just wondering what is the best product to soundproof a small room under the stairs ?

Soundproofing generally requires complete reconstruction and large amounts of high-density insulation, limp mass materials, etc.

Three inches of plaster won't hurt either -

But once a room is soundproofed, then you have to deal with the acoustics in the room - A completely different task.

zinnh said:
Hi ....just wondering what is the best product to soundproof a small room under the stairs ?
soundproof or acoustics ......???

regardless go to auralex.com and they have a link to acoustics101 download the PDF and read it

But even the Auralex stuff is severely lacking in the bass control department... Especially the MEGA importance of it in smaller spaces.

Yea I Need To Sound Proof Ma Whole Room Wut Do Yall Recommend Or Would Be Tha Best To Use I Gotta Closet For Tha Vocals And Tha Rest Of Ma Room also how much money are we talken bout

Last edited by a moderator:
TKO$:

I just finished building my studio from the ground up. It is NOT cheap if you want to do it properly.

For acoustic treatment, my advice is to get a FREE Auralex Room Analysis here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/room_analysis.php

Once you have that analysis, which is usually only as accurate as your room drawing (so be as detailed as possible, use Visio or auto-cad if you can), then you can budget accordingly.

For my control room (H: 8.4' W:9 1/4' L: 15') the acoustic treatment including Traps, absortion, diffusors cost me $1300.

Contruction is a whole other ballgame, but necessary only if you don't want to disturb your neighbors/family.

Marcos

TKOMONEY said:
Yea I Need To Sound Proof Ma Whole Room Wut Do Yall Recommend Or Would Be Tha Best To Use I Gotta Closet For Tha Vocals And Tha Rest Of Ma Room also how much money are we talken bout
As mentioned, soundproofing a space generally requires reconstruction from the studs out. Anywhere between a couple $k if you do it yourself to 10 times that for a contractor.

The "cheap and simple" solution, depending on what you're dealing with, is to triple the drywall. 3 layers of 5/8" drywall is pretty effective at halting frequencies above 200Hz or so.

Keeping in mind, of course, that the low end issues in the room are going to need particular attention in a room that's been treated to retard transmission...

Back