Sound treating a LOW CEILING!

Wilk Diamond

Got Wilk?
Ok, so I'm building a home studio in my basment. Framing the wall's and the cieling in a single car garage (corner row home house). It looks like after I'm done framing the ceiling the height will be about 7 1/2 ft. high (give or take). My main question is, what is my best bet in treating the low ceiling. I already figure bass traps in ALL corners, and acoustic foam on certain areas of the walls, but how about the ceiling. Will i need bass traps or acoustic foam up there as well?? I'm thinking that putting base traps on a 7ft. celing would be making it lower (limiting head room). Anybody have any input on this issue? This is killing me here:banghead:

Well my real issue is the sound quality I will receive in that room. Will the low ceiling naturally cause a bunch of echos and bassy sounds? And if that's the case what would my best option be? Possible Bass traps on the ceiling or will bass traps in all four corners cut most of that out?

well if you NEED to have a drywall ceiling, I would recommend getting some Owens Corning 703 and making 2 or 3 inch panels wrapped in fabric, and then hanging those about 2 inches above your ceiling

you NEED insulation on the inside of the walls for sound ISOLATION....
you NEED acoustic treatment on absorption panels on the side walls first and second reflection points and then additional bass traps..
bass traps in the corners ceiling to floor...
some use diffusion on the front wall .. I go with two to three bass traps or absorption panels..
you need a absorption panels aka cloud above the mixing/engineer table ...go to GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. and check it out.. talk to the owner and get feedback on how to treat your room
sound isolation and acoustic two different things.. but use the same kind of material usually

Some rockwool or OC 703 Bass Trap styled traps hung from the ceiling would be perfect. Especially over the recording areas and the mix areas.

Back