sound card question

S

sorridsky

my sound blaster platinum is a 16 bit card.. most cards are 24 bit..
does that really mean theres going to be a differnce in the end as CD is 16 bit anyway? - i know there must be a differnce somewhere.. becuase what would be the point otherwise.. but once its mixed onto CD is it audioble?

another question.. as no-one answerd my mixing desk question, im buying a mackie 1202 vlz. but does it power itself.. or do i need to buy yet another piece of gadgetry?

bit rate is something that most home users are unnecessarily worrying about. Unless you are running some seriously high end outboard digital equipment, it sounds like you're going to notice no difference whatsoever between bitrates.

hope it helps.
where i started computer audio (1994): cheap 486, running cakewalk pro audio 3 to 5, & tons of shareware & freeware, Mackie 1202, 6 keyboards.
did 10 professional remixes released on various labels, 2 albums, 5 compilations.

bit rate don't matter to you

24 bit recording don't mean to much to you especially if you're not running 24 bit through your whole system. If you just have one digital device that is 16 bit and all your other stuff is 24 bit, then you would be just as well off having all 16 bit. In the future, when we are buring songs to DVD audio, then it will matter. You will have to record in 96KHz 24 Bit, but outside of a pro studio that won't be happening for a while.

Sorridsky, I would still recommend looking into a professional card. The SBLive!, though full of features, seems focused mainly on consumer audio needs such as EAX and gaming environments over strong composing/recording processing. For me this is apparent in the lag response of my card.

But, as you all put it so well, it's refreshing to know that one doesn't need a million dollar studio to make d@mn fine music.

Back