Sonar 3, Soundblaster Live, And Cool Edit

My uncle owns a professional studio in Caracas Venezuela. He has been in the recording industry for quite some time now. I sent him an E-mail in regards to which product would suit my needs. Since the studio is located in Caracas Venezuela, I haven't really taken the chance of actually travelling there in order to record. Heck, if it wasn't for the distance I think I would've dropped a couple of albums by now!:rolleyes:
Anyways, He told me that Cakewalk Sonar 3 would work to record my music. He also informed me that a souncard from SOUNDBLASTER LIVE would work. COOL EDIT could work as well if I feel like chopping up sounds and editiong them (If I'm not wrong).

Well to get to the point, I would appreciate if you post feedbacks on this recording set-up; excluding the synths, monitors, and all the other stuff:)

:o...Sorry for writing so much.

Sonar 3 is great... but try other things too. if you go to guitar center or something like that they'll walk you through all kinds of editors and sequencers. I vote for sonar though... just cuz its comfortable.

Just try out different programs beforehand like The sound wrote. I am a Cubase SX user, Sonar is a very capable program but personally I never liked Cakewalk programs. Going back to their first sequencers I find that Sonar is much too familiar. I find the functionality disrrupting of my workflow, but that's why it's good to try out different programs.

Cubase had me more confused at first but when I got the hand of it, I found that it suited me a lot better.

My first experiences with Steinberg and Cakewalk were with bundled products by the way. So retail products can be very different.

Just try things out and go with what you like better.

The same points for Sonar go for Cool Edit as well (Adobe Audition now). I didn't like cool edit when I tried it out, Soundforge was not too bad, but Wavelab just caught me. I tried the shareware program Goldwave before that also, and while it was not too bad, I like working in realtime rather than processing and doing trial and error, so I left it eventually. It may have progressed now, this was a while back.

As for the soundblaster Live card, sure it will work, but it's by far not the best soundcard out there for audio. You will be limited to working at 48khz since the card is locked at that sample rate.

LOL @ the soundblaster lives. Definitly DO NOT get those. If you need an affordable sound card, check out the "semi-pro" echo mia or maudio audiophile. They are in the same price range. But if you can afford, check out higher range soundcards.

Sonar 3 is a nice sequencer/multi track software. Also check out cubase sx (which is what I use). Cool edit is also a good wave editor. Also check out wavelab (which is what I use) and soundforge.

As the one above me says: Do not go the Sound Blaster path (any version)! The Live is an old and out dated soundcard – the newer ones are optimized for game performance, only! The M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard is a great card to start out with!

The sequencer thing is a matter of personal taste, really! I don’t like either Cubase SX or Cakewalk Sonar. The only ones I like is Logic Audio and Sony Acid Pro. Others can have a complete opposite view on it! You have to find the sequencer software that suits you, and mostly it is like this: The first studio software you start out with is the one you’ll like the best! I strongly recommend you to go into the manufacturers’ websites and download their trial versions and test them all out before you decide.

Wav-editors are very alike... I use Sound Forge, and I’m satisfied with that one.

Back